Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with iMac USB drive

Hi there.

Whenever I use the USB drive on my iMac, I find the data is corrupted. How can I fix this?

The system specs are as follows:

*Mac OS X [10.7.5]

*Processor: 28 GHz Intel Core i7

*Built-in USB

*Host Controller driver: AppleUSBEHCI

I would appreciate any useful advice on what to do to resolve this.

Thank you!

Lauren

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:37 AM

19 replies

Jul 11, 2014 9:57 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I mean the USB ports that are built into the iMac. Here is a scenario:

*I insert any flash drive into one of the USB ports on my iMac (whether it has data on it or not).

*I copy data from that flash drive to the iMac or copy data onto that flash drive from the iMac.

*I eject the flash drive from the iMac and insert it into any other USB port on another Mac (iMac or MacBook)

*When I open the contents of the Flash drive, the contents are all strange charaters. Can't read them, can't delete the contents either.

Does that help? If You have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you.

Lauren

Jul 11, 2014 11:53 AM in response to rkaufmann87

But why is this happening in the first place? If formatting my flash drive saves my data AFTER it gets corrupted, great but I doubt it. Why is this happening in the first place? How can i stop it? Maybe going forward I need to format every flash drive I use on that computer before I use it? I don't need to do this using other Macs but only on this one?

Thanks.

Lauren

Jul 11, 2014 12:50 PM in response to Csound1

Thank you. So maybe this is just a case of bad flash drives? I have other drives I can use but what makes me nervous is if I receive a drive that has data which only exists on the flash drive, then I place it in this iMac, I will lose my data. I guess that is not good practice anyway to only house data on a flash drive but I haven't had this issue before.

It may not only be isolated to flash drives. What if I plug in an external HD which happens to be a back up of old projects I am worked on? I have been afraid to try that scenario. There must be something going on with the iMac or the USB ports. But what....

Jul 11, 2014 1:12 PM in response to Csound1

Hi! I did what you asked and the files were fine...this time. I am concerned abou the times when we have a USB or an an external HD wil files we need to access. We plug it in and then the files have issues. This has happend to us in the past on this machine. Sounds liek to be safe, we need to not use the USB ports on this machine otherwise we are playing Russian Roulette. A crime since this machine is just two years old this month....

Issue with iMac USB drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.