Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't copy files to an external hard-drive - help??

Hi all,

My problem originally stems from the never-ending issue of using external hard-drives with a Mac (this is a huge downside to owning a Mac by the way, so if TPTB are reading this they need to fix it!). My Toshiba hard-drive was being used as my Time Machine, until a few months ago when it stopped being recognised by my Mac. Because it doesn't show up in Finder or Disc Utility when I plug it in (even though the lights are on and I can hear the power running in it), I haven't been able to re-format it to make it useable again (assuming that would work). So I basically have a £80+ tea cup holder.....

Because of this, I decided this week to use my WD hard-drive to manually back up some files on my computer, since Time Machine hasn't been able to run since March. However, when I copy the files I want to move over, "Paste" is not showing up as an option on my WD drive (it's greyed out). I can't drag and drop the files as I get the circle with a line through it when I try, and I don't want to anyway as I don't want the files removed from my computer.

Can someone advise me on what to do? The WD drive is showing up, and it has space to accept these files, so if I can get the paste option to work we'd be ready to rock and roll! One of the folders I want to copy is my Music folder, and given it's size I know this will take hours to do, but it should be showing the paste option, shouldn't it? I'm running a Macbook Pro that's less than a year old, and all the software bits are up to date.

(Of course, if Apple would fix the stupid hard-drive issue then I wouldn't be having any of the problems..... GRRRRRR!)

Thanks in advance,

Millie

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 10:13 AM

2 replies

Jul 11, 2014 10:41 AM in response to MsLogica

Click on it, choose Get Info from the File menu, and check the format.

If it's formatted as NTFS, reformat it as MS-DOS, exFAT, or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as desired, or install software such as Paragon NTFS on the computer.

If it's formatted as FAT32 or exFAT, use the Disk Utility's Repair Disk command on it; this may also happen for a flash drive which is about to fail.

If it's formatted as Mac OS Extended, click Authenticate and provide your administrator password, or change the permissions on that specific folder in its Get Info window.

(109318)

Can't copy files to an external hard-drive - help??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.