Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP LaserJet 400 Color MFP M475dw Problems in OS 10.9.4

I'm using a 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 9 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I connect via wifi to the referenced printer (for almost a year now). Since updating to OS 10.9.4 I am able to print only one document at a time. Attempting to print a second document generates the message "Printer is not connected." If I turn the printer off and back on again, I'm able to print one document. Then the same thing occurs again. I have done the following so far, all to no avail:

1. Downloaded and installed latest driver (specifically for Mavericks) from HP
  2. Checked for Apple software updates and found none
  3. Reset the printing system (per instructions elsewhere in these forums)

I updated to OS 10.9.4 on July 5th and that is when this problem started. Where do I go from here???

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:55 AM

10 replies

Jul 11, 2014 12:20 PM in response to John Blanchard1

John,

I did (for the third time now), and did it in the order you described. There was no HP folder inside the /Library/Printers folder; the only item there was the HP LaserJet 400 colorMFP M475dw (529299) app, which is the same thing (same version and same dates) that reappeared after I did what you suggested. BTW, the drivers you had me download from Apple are older than the driver I downloaded from HP -- that's a moot point, because neither one works. 😟 So....problem still persists. I was able to print one document, then get the "Printer is not connected" message again. Any other thoughts?

Jul 11, 2014 12:26 PM in response to John Blanchard1

And BTW, here's a repost of what I posted on July 7th:

I'm running a 2013 Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS version 10.9.4 (updated to this OS version 5 days ago, on July 2nd). For a little less than a year I've been printing to a HP LaserJet 400 Color MFP M475dw via wireless connection. A few weeks ago I began to have numerous "printer is not connected" events, and it reached the point I could not print anything - from my MacBook, my iPad Air, or my iPhone 5S. I discovered there was an updated printer driver on HP's website, specifically for OS 10.9. Downloaded and installed it, and the problem was seemingly solved.

Then I updated the OS to 10.9.4. AARRRRGH!!!!!! For the last 5 days, the printer will - sometimes - print the first document in a queue of 2 or more and then, while the printer is still "running," tell me the printer is not connected. I turn the printer off and back on, get one print job, then have to repeat the process. Here are all the things I've tried to resolve the issue:

1. Verified settings on the printer to make sure everything is set up properly
  2. Restarted Airport Extreme, printer, and MacBook (multiple times) -- clarification: I turned off both the MacBook and the printer, then unplugged Airport for a few minutes, replugged it, restarted the printer, then restarted the MacBook
  3. Reset the printing system (as suggested elsewhere in the Support forums), which basically removes all printers from the MacBook, then lets you add back those that you want - presumably with the most current driver(s).
  4. Searched help/support forums on Apple, HP, and the internet in general
  5. Found a firmware update for the printer on HP's website -- but it is not compatible with OS 10.9 (only goes up through 10.8). I downloaded it and tried, even though 10.9 was not listed, and the "app" wouldn't even open.

All of these efforts have been to no avail. The problem persists, and I'm at my wit's end how to solve it. HELP, please..........anyone??????

Jul 11, 2014 12:32 PM in response to GAdams

Gary,

The folder that you checked was the ~/Library/Printers folder, not the /Library/Printers folder. The goal is to delete the HP drivers and then do a clean install of the HP software. Deleting the printer from ~/Library/Printers and/or resetting the print system won't replace the drivers, so you'll just keep getting the same results.

Since the HP site has a different version than what's available from Apple, try the HP version first. If that doesn't work, deleting the drivers as described above and installing the drivers from Apple may give different results.

Hope this helps.

Jul 11, 2014 1:39 PM in response to John Blanchard1

John,

Okay -- thanks for the clarification. I found the correct folders, deleted the HP folder, installed the HP drivers downloaded from HP, and a new HP folder appeared. However, when I attempted to print something I got the "Printer is not connected" message again. So something isn't right. I should note that neither my iPad Air nor my iPhone 5S are able to find the printer either. These are all very recent developments. Have had this printer for almost a year and it functioned with multiple laptops, iPhones, and iPads flawlessly. So.........when I am able to regenerate some more patience, I will REDO the deletion of the print drivers and try the download from the Apple site and see if that makes a difference. I must say I'm not expecting anything different at this point........ 😠

I appreciate your efforts to help me. I'm signing off for now.

Ginger

Jul 11, 2014 3:20 PM in response to GAdams

Since you are having problem with the printer on other devices as well, it's likely the problem exists at the side of the printer (including the network connection of the printer), so you should put your focus at that side instead.

Try to reboot your router, or the connection cables from your printer to your router (if any), or just reset the printer's network settings.

Jul 12, 2014 4:33 AM in response to GAdams

Agree with pengtao. You need to focus on the printer and your network. Do you live in an apartment/condo or other higher-density environment where a neighbor may have a new wifi router?

Eliminate wifi interference as the possible issue by using the OS X built-in wifi scanner to see nearby routers and signal strength, etc. If there is interference, change our wifi channel to an unused one (at least a couple away from strong neighbors' signals).

http://osxdaily.com/2013/12/11/find-best-wi-fi-channel-wireless-tool-mac/

http://letstalk-tech.com/access-wifi-scanner-mac-os-x-mavericks/

HP LaserJet 400 Color MFP M475dw Problems in OS 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.