Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Easy Multiple Display Question

I have a question that I feel is so simple, yet I seem to be unable to find the exact answer before heading to the store. BTW they do not allow refunds here so kind of a trial without error deal - hence my request for assistance before the fact.

I am running a late 2011 13" MBP with 8Gb RAM OSX 10.9.4 and looking to connect to 2x 23" Samsung LED displays via HDMI (ideally one other via DVI but not a deal breaker). 1 Thunderwire port, 1 MDP and 2 USB. As I understand it, the system via Thunderwire is only capable of running one monitor. I remember reading somewhere (link escapes me) that the late 2011 MBP screen will go blank if running multiple displays - this is a perfect solution for me! Read: Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display. (but for two displays).

Currently, I occasionally connect to the (optional above) 21" monitor via MDP and HDMI>DVI cable, so if this connection hardware is part of the equation I am already part way there.

A few caveats:

- I do not want to connect to a monitor via USB (laggy and only 2)

- I do not want it to appear as one huge display (Matrox solution)

Ideal setup:

- MBP under the desk on a cooling pad (screen not active)

- 2x 23" Samsung LED displays, would be nice to have the third 21" Samsung in the mix

- Wireless Keyboard (thinking: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac?crid=26)
- Wireless Trackpad

The reason for this setup is purely for practicality. Being that I live in Central America, and while not an issue to date I am kind of OCD, I will be getting a cooling pad for free so may as well go overkill. The intended setup is the MBP sitting on the cooling pad under my desk with the 2 displays heads up (duh!). I will be running the logitech k750 keyboard and a trackpad for input devices. The MBP will also be taken as a portable device for travel or offsite meetings and when I get away from the desk to work on the couch after hours. This system is also portable in case I decide to relocate - the whole kit can be put in luggage within airline capacities... a true 'mobile office'.

I work in software sales and provide some coding support as well as actively day trading.

If any gurus can spell the process out for me I will be up and running and ever thankful for your assistance!!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 10:21 AM

1 reply

Easy Multiple Display Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.