Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto will not launch

Upgraded iPhoto to 9.5.1 and now it cannot complete the launch. When i double click on the icon, it tries to launch and then give me an error message that says something like this: The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto.. But when I click on "upgrade," it crashes. Another problem that developed at the same time as the iPhoto upgrade is that now my Pictures folder will not open. When I double click on it, the Terminal opens. For some reason, the computer thinks my Pictures folder is a file. Please help.....As of now, I have no working iPhoto and have lost all my pix.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 10:31 AM

18 replies

Jul 11, 2014 11:42 AM in response to Donna Penn

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo Pictures

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. You should get a new line ending in a dollar sign ($). Quit Terminal.

Quit iPhoto if it's running. Launch it while holding down the option key. It will prompt you to select a library. Choose the one you want to use (not the Pictures folder.)

Jul 11, 2014 1:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc: Somewhere while fiddling around I managed to get a bunch of my photo albums to open in iPhoto so now, it launches and there's a bunch of albums there but not sure if it has everything. I don't think it does. However, besides that, there's still this former "Pictures" folder that did have all my pix but still appears in my home folder as a file rather than a folder. Any thoughts about how to remedy that? And, without that, how shall I store my pix outside of iPhoto? When I choose Get Info for Pictures, it only says it has 12KB so I don't know if there's anything left in there. Thoughts? Thanks.

Jul 11, 2014 5:18 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yeah, LInc, I guess I wasn't specific enough. I did do what you suggested and it worked in so far as iPhoto opens and I imported the library I could find but....I think there may be other libraries hidden somewhere since it doesn't seem that the one I selected has everything. Also, as I said in my previous post, there's still this former "Pictures" folder that did have all my pix but still appears in my home folder as a file rather than a folder. Any thoughts about how to remedy that? And, without that, how shall I store my pix outside of iPhoto? When I choose Get Info for Pictures, it only says it has 12KB so I don't know if there's anything left in there. Thoughts? Thanks.

Jul 11, 2014 6:34 PM in response to Donna Penn

The Pictures folder that usually contains the iPhoto library is at the top level of the home folder, which is represented by a house icon in the sidebar of any Finder window. When you click the house icon, you should the the Pictures folder alongside Documents, Music, and so on. That's the one that would have been affected by my earlier instructions. Are you saying that you have another Pictures folder somewhere else? Also, what backups do you have?

Jul 11, 2014 8:59 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes, I see the Pictures folder at the highest level of finder. This is the one I've been talking about. The icon looks like a folder with a camera on it and when I double click it nothing happens. Once upon a time, it stored my photos. Now it's 12KB according to Get Info. So somehow I lost all my photos which you helped me find in the new version of iPhoto but they no longer exist in Pictures and Pictures itself seems screwed up--like it's a file rather than a folder. So, these are the pieces of the puzzle I've been talking about. Fortunately you helped me retrieve most of my photos (I still think there are more but I can't find them and haven't had time yet for a thorough search) but they're living in iPhoto and NOT Pictures since Pictures doesn't seem to work. As for backup, I use SuperDuper to back up user files onto a Seagate external hard drive. Unfortunately, my photos won't be there because every time I back up, it overwrites older files with whatever seems to be new on the computer. Hope this helps.

Jul 11, 2014 9:09 PM in response to Donna Penn

You need to start backing up with Time Machine. A mirror backup alone is inadequate, as this experience shows. But that's a topic for another thread.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please enter the following command in a Terminal window as before:

ls -@Oden Pi* | pbcopy

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Jul 12, 2014 10:39 PM in response to Linc Davis

I relaunched Finder and altho the Pictures folder doesn't exactly look like a file (it looks like a camera!), it contains nothing. The Help menu in iPhoto says:

iPhoto stores your photo library in the iPhoto Library file, or “package,” in your Pictures folder (in your home folder on your hard disk). The package contains all the photos you’ve imported into iPhoto and any albums, slideshows, and projects (such as books, cards, or calendars) you’ve created using iPhoto.

Unfortunately, my Pictures folder is empty.....Everything is in iPhoto. So, I think here's where we are:

1--Is there a way to fix the old or create a new Pictures folder?

2--Is there a way to move photos in iPhoto to Pictures for general storage?

3--Is there a way for iPhoto images to get iPhoto to store my Library file or images or whatever in my Pictures filer as the help menu indicates it should?

Thanks again.

Oh, and I ran Time Machine last night. Thanks for that advice too.

Jul 13, 2014 7:21 AM in response to Donna Penn

If the Pictures folder is empty, then the iPhoto library is somewhere else. If you select Switch to Library from the File menu, you'll see a list of all available libraries. In iPhoto's preferences, select the Advanced tab. If the box marked Copy items to the iPhoto library is checked, then all the photos are contained within a library.

If you don't find the photos within any iPhoto library, open a Finder window and select All My Files in the sidebar. One of the categories is Images. Look for the missing photos there.

There isn't really any point in making copies of images to keep outside the library as long as you have backups, but if you want to do it anyway, drag from the iPhoto window.

Jul 13, 2014 8:25 AM in response to Linc Davis

1--Switch To Library brought up the following options: iPhoto Library (default), New Library.photolibrary, Pictures. None of these are meaningful to me meaning I don't know what to pick.

2--Copy items to iPhoto Library is checked in preferences

3--in All My Files, i see no category called Images tho there are gazillion images in the list

So, Pictures is still empty.

Jul 13, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Donna Penn

relaunched Finder and altho the Pictures folder doesn't exactly look like a file (it looks like a camera!), it contains nothing. The Help menu in iPhoto says:

It sounds like the contents of your iPhoto Library were put loose into your Pictures folder which converted it to an iPhoto Library Package.

1 - open your "Pictures" folder as shown in this screen shot:

User uploaded file

2 - take a screenshot of the contents of the Pictures folder. An iPhoto Library looks like this:

User uploaded file

3 - post your screenshot in your reply.

User uploaded file

iPhoto will not launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.