Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Even after the latest Maverick update, I am not able to connect to my home wifi. Are others facing the same problem as well! What can I do?

Even after the latest Maverick update, I am not able to connect to my home wifi. Are others facing the same problem as well! What can I do?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 10:30 AM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2014 8:07 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes I can connect to other networks. I was able to connect to my home wifi earlier. Then in the last few weeks before the latest update I was not able to only connect to my home wifi. My computer would recognise all other wifi networks in my building except the network in my house. The day after I updated the software, I could connect to my home wifi. Then again yesterday it did not work. But today when I tried it connected. So basically, it is being very inconsistent. And yes my phone and other devices at home connect properly.

Jul 14, 2014 6:34 AM in response to ananan01

I had the exact same problem with my 2012 rMBP in that it would drop my home wifi periodically. I couldn't reproduce this on other networks and to make matters stranger still I never had the problem with my other network attached devices which worked flawlessly on my home network 2 x iPhone 5S, iPad Air, a 2006 and 2007 MBP and a PS4). My problem occured after the last but one updates to Mavericks.

I tried everything to fix it, from rebuilding my wifi network (a virgin superhub in bridge mode to an Airport Extreme with 3 Airport Expresses extending coverage) to doing an erase and install of Mavericks on my 2012 rMBP. I checked wifi traffic to make sure other networks weren't interfering (they weren't), I tried creating a new admin user (same issue), nothing would work.

After 2 visits to the Genius bar, and a call to Apple Warranty, Apple eventually replaced my wifi card and motherboard. I just got it back yesterday so time will tell if this has finally fixed it.

Jul 19, 2014 9:35 AM in response to Vestan Pance

Hi Vestan, Thanks a lot for your reply!!

Everything you said is what I am also facing with my MacBook Pro. After my last post, my wifi was working perfectly until tonight. Now again it does not recognise the home wifi.

Do you have an extended insurance on your Mac or did you just take it to them anyway? Also when you took it to the Genius bar, how exactly did they notice the problem because in my case, my laptop identifies every other wifi network. I haven't taken it to them yet, but I suppose that it will recognise their wifi networks like it identifies all other networks in my building.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2014 3:21 AM in response to ananan01

@ananan01

Yes, I have Apple Care which to be honest if I didn't have I'm not sure whether Apple would have replaced my wifi card and motherboard. They did say that this wouldn't include fixing the wifi ariel as this would require replacing the retina screen as it's attached to the side of it.

The first time I went to the Genius bar I took a screenshot of my wifi network using Airport Utility and some stats from running Wifi diagnostics (which you can access by pressing the <alt> key while clicking the wifi icon in your menu bar) which saved an output file on my desktop. On this first visit the Genius advised that I had quite a complex wifi set-up (Airport Extreme with 3 airport expresses extending wifi coverage) so I should try rebuilding the network as well as creating a new admin user.

So I did all these things but the issue reoccured, so this time I called Apple Care directly and while on the phone we were able to reproduce the issue logged in as a new admin user. I then booked a 2nd session to take my laptop in to the Genius bar and this time to be safe I also took some additional screen shots using the Airport Utility from the Wifi scan option (to prove there was no interference from other networks) and the performance option to prove there was no interference from other networks. You can do the same as follows:

1. Hold down the "option" key and select the wireless icon from the main menu bar.

2. Choose the "Open Wireless Diagnostics" menu item.

3. After entering your computer's password, you will see the "Wireless Diagnostics" window with the "Introduction" paragraph.

4. You may ignore the "Continue" button.

5. From the main menu, choose Window -> Utilities.

6. You may optionally close the "Wireless Diagnostics" menu at this time if you choose.

7. In the "Utilities" window, select the "Wifi Scan" and "Performance" tabs for a real-time view of your network performance

On my second visit to Genius we couldn't reproduce the problem, my machine connected fine to their network and the one outside in the shopping mall but they agreed to replace the wifi card and motherboard on a kind of 'hope for the best' basis. Since I've got my laptop back I've had no more issues.

Hope this helps

VP

Jul 21, 2014 6:28 AM in response to Vestan Pance

Thanks a lot for you reply!

I don't have AppleCare so I will probably take it to them and see what they say. I ran the Wifi diagnostics based on your explanation when my wifi worked perfectly. The network was excellent and there was no interference. Once the wifi stops again I will run the diagnostics again.

My computer as of now is only having trouble connecting to my home wifi. So I think even I will have trouble reproducing the problem when I take it to them. But I will take it anyway.

Thanks a lot for all the help! It was really helpful!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.