Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 1,1 and 3,1 power supply compatibility?

- Since both Mac Pro 1,1 and 3,1 are classified as model A1186 does that mean the power supplies are compatible? Can a working power supply from a 2006 model go into a 2008 model and work okay?

- Also, can I take the RAM from my 2006 Mac Pro and put into the 2008 model? I've read conflicting answers on this topic so I'd love to know something more concrete.

- Additionally the CPUs for the two models are of the same socket type so will 1,1 CPUs work in a 3,1? Again, I've read conflicting answers on this topic so does it work or not?

Thanks in advance for any and all constructive feedback!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 2:51 PM

- Also, can I take the RAM from my 2006 Mac Pro and put into the 2008 model? I've read conflicting answers on this topic so I'd love to know something more concrete.

It will work, but all the memory in the computer will then work at 667 MHz instead of 800 MHz.

2 replies

Jul 11, 2014 7:15 PM in response to PowerPC_Fan

PowerPC_Fan wrote:

- Since both Mac Pro 1,1 and 3,1 are classified as model A1186 does that mean the power supplies are compatible? Can a working power supply from a 2006 model go into a 2008 model and work okay?

...Thanks in advance for any and all constructive feedback!

According to the service manuals, the power supply part number for the 1,1 Mac Pro is 661-4001 and for the 3,1 Mac Pro, it's 661-4677.

Moreover, this parts supplier associates the first part number with both the 1,1 and 2,1 (8 core 3.0 GHz) Mac Pro's but not the 3,1. They sell this for the 3,1. Whether they will fit and supply the same power specs are separate issues but since even the PS fan has different cable routings, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Mac Pro 1,1 and 3,1 power supply compatibility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.