Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major problem copying FCPX Libraries to Network Volume

I've encountered a serious issue when backing up FCPX Libraries to network volumes and I hoped you guys could shed some light on it. This doesn't happen every time, but it has happened to us five times and I've actually witnessed it happening twice.

Our setup goes like this: editors work off of individual external drives. We copy the media to these drives, they work off the drive and backup their libraries to our networked Mini Server/Promise Pegasus R6. Because the libraries weigh so much (with transcoded media and render files) we temporarily trash these before backing up the library to get file sizes down and make copies go faster.

Occasionally, someone will copy a library to the wrong place or without deleting said files. When that happens, they cancel the copy and we occassionally get a unique error: everything on the network volume begins deleting itself in alphabetical order. I've seen it happen; files disappear, one by one, and continue until the target destination of the copy is reached.

For example: user copies file 24 to the network share. User cancels copy. Files 1 through 23 on the network share disappear. They're not in the trash, they're not anywhere else on the volume. They are just gone. The only way to stop it once the files start disappearing is to unplug the computer that initiated the copy.

I'm inclined to believe that there is something intrinsically unstable with FCPX Library files, since they are the only thing making the issue occur. I've witnessed it happen since v10.1.1. Data Rescue has recovered the files in the past, and everything is backed up offsite, but it's a really annoying error when it occurs.

Any info or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 10:44 AM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2014 6:27 AM in response to magicrabbitprod

I hardly think that the library structure has anything to do with this problem. A library is just a bundle, which is in effect a folder like any other. The Finder recognizes the .fcpbundle extension and presents it as a document. This is par for the course in OS X, and has been so since the beginning.

There is definitely a problem, and a very serious one, one that has data loss as a direct consequence.

But I can't see anything specific to a FCP X library that might trigger it.

Major problem copying FCPX Libraries to Network Volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.