Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac: I'm hearing that low crunching sound internally

I take it if I hear that low, crunchy, churning sound within my iMac, that the hard drive is about to die, correct?
Or could it be something else? Thanks for any info. That crunchy, buzzy sound is picked up if I record anything on GB or Logic Pro by the way.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:08 AM

Really hard to say, only a authorized service center could say for certain. Could also be an issue with your audio file too, or your optical drive changing the position of the heads. Backup your data, just to be on the safe side. Use your System Profiler to check the SMART status. SMART if it is failing is an indication of the hard drive about to go.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 11:08 AM in response to Peter Reznikoff

Really hard to say, only a authorized service center could say for certain. Could also be an issue with your audio file too, or your optical drive changing the position of the heads. Backup your data, just to be on the safe side. Use your System Profiler to check the SMART status. SMART if it is failing is an indication of the hard drive about to go.

My iMac: I'm hearing that low crunching sound internally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.