Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Sound Coming From My iMac

Running OS 10.9.4

I'm hearing a low churning crunch sound within my iMac. I guess that means my hard drive is about to die. Unfortunately that low static sound get recorded. other than taking the iMac to the Apple Store for a look over, any other advice. Same thing happens on Logic Pro, and it's not the Mic connection. I hear that crunchy sound when I turn my iMac. Thanks for any help

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:28 AM

First thing to do is backup your drive immediately. Launch Disk Utility, select the hard drive and see what the Smart Status is for it:

User uploaded file

Also while in Disk Utility verify the hard drive. If all still appears OK run the Apple Hardware Test: OS X Mavericks: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test. All these tests are to rule out or confirm a dying disk or other hardware issue.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 11:28 AM in response to Peter Reznikoff

First thing to do is backup your drive immediately. Launch Disk Utility, select the hard drive and see what the Smart Status is for it:

User uploaded file

Also while in Disk Utility verify the hard drive. If all still appears OK run the Apple Hardware Test: OS X Mavericks: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test. All these tests are to rule out or confirm a dying disk or other hardware issue.

User uploaded file

Internal Sound Coming From My iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.