Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

automatically turn off apps when closed

Thank you for taking a look.

I am using an iPhone 5C purchased in June of 2014. It has whatever Operating System was on it at that time, I don't know. This is the only "smart phone" I have ever used, and I despise the complexity and frustrating nature of the device. For example, where is the manual? For five hundred dollars, I'd expect a manual at least to come with the phone.

I quickly discovered that the battery life is extremely short. Research revealed that this was likely due to too many "apps" running in the background.

My question is, how do I set up the phone to Automatically Turn OFF an App when I close it? I don't care if it will take a few extra seconds to re start.

I am aware that I can take several steps, view all running Apps, and close any I wish to. I find this "solution" useless and obnoxious. The phone is worthless to

me if I cannot force it to automatically turn off apps when they close. I will never instinctively go and take the extra step to turn off an App after closing it, and it's insane that the designers would force users to do this.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:16 AM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2014 11:28 AM in response to bearcat6690

bearcat6690 wrote:

For example, where is the manual? For five hundred dollars, I'd expect a manual at least to come with the phone.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Research revealed that this was likely due to too many "apps" running in the background.

My question is, how do I set up the phone to Automatically Turn OFF an App when I close it? I don't care if it will take a few extra seconds to re start

Your research is flawed. Very few apps run in the background. See this article for ways to optimize your battery life:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

You should also make sure that your have the latest version of the operating system. Settings>General>Software Update.

Your local Apple Store offers workshops to teach you how to use the phone.

Jul 11, 2014 11:22 AM in response to bearcat6690

You apparently don't understand how multitasking works on iOS. The vast majority of apps do not continue to process anything in the background. You do not need to "turn off an app" when you're done using it.

Some fitness apps and navigation apps will continue to run in the background and cause excessive battery drain. Those are poorly behaved and should not be running unless you've started a specific task and it isn't complete yet (tracking a run, navigating to work, etc.).

Like almost any piece of modern electronic equipment these days, the manual can be found on line. Don't feel bad about no printed manual with your $500 phone. I didn't get a printed manual for my $4000 spam and virus firewall either.

Jul 11, 2014 11:36 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you for your response. I need and want a large paper manual that will sit open by my side while I work with the device. Large pictures and a comprehensive index. A pdf does not cut it. I resent having to go buy a manual when this thing cost more than my desktop PC.

As for the second link you offered, thank you. This is interesting information, and I will try some of these fixes. However. I factually do have extremely brief battery life. I don't think my research is "flawed" because when I follow the unnecessarily cumbersome steps to go view all running Apps, and I swipe up and turn most of them off, I factually do see extended battery life.

So, all I am asking is, how do I get an App to automatically turn off when I close it? It's really a simple, and essential thing, and it appears to have been ignored by the designers.

I figure I get four hours before having to recharge!! My old "dumb" phone only needed to be recharged about once every four days!

Jul 11, 2014 11:44 AM in response to bearcat6690

bearcat6690 wrote:

So, all I am asking is, how do I get an App to automatically turn off when I close it? It's really a simple, and essential thing, and it appears to have been ignored by the designers.

It was not "ignored". It was not included because it is unnecessary. If you're only getting 4 hours of battery life before your phone dies, you have a hardware problem and all the closing apps in the world won't fix it. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store.

Of course your old feature phone got longer battery life. It did much less, had a small, low resolution screen, and rarely, if ever, connected to WiFi or data networks.

The Apple Manual, though it is in .pdf format, is, in fact a comprehensive one hundred and fifty some page manual with pictures, a table of contents and an index. Apple does not include them in the box as they are large and heavy, would use a lot of paper and increase shipping costs and the overall carbon footprint of the iPhone. You are free to print it if you wish.

Jul 11, 2014 12:36 PM in response to bearcat6690

Hi Bearcat6690. I am like you and would prefer a paper manual and I agree that as costly as a smart phone is a manual should come with the device. But as Meg mentioned, Apple (And almost every other tech manufacturer) has determined that it would be very costly to include a hard copy manual. They have also discovered that you and I are in the minority anymore when it comes to manuals like this. (I just bought a new car and had to download the owners manual as a pdf. A $35,000 car doesn't include a manual any more.) So they leave it up to the buyer to take the time to locate and download a soft copy manual. I just keep a copy in iBooks on both my iPhone and iPad.

But to be honest I rarely open it anymore. I have found that simply digging into the apps, settings, touching icons within apps, and generally playing with it as much as I can for awhile really helped me learn more about my phone and it also helped me customize it to my personal tastes.

If there is something that I can't figure out by digging into my phone myself or trying to find it in the manual, I come here and always find someone who has had the same problem and is happy to help me out.

Regarding battery life, the apps that are in the multitasking drawer are (for the most part) just waiting to be opened again. In fact by leaving them in the multitasking drawer and not shutting them down you end up using less power because it takes longer to restart them if you close them down. When you close an app the phone takes a snapshot of its last state and keeps that information handy so that when you open the app again it will open to where you were. The exception to this would be apps that actually do run in the background such as maps or apps that use GPS. But you can turn that off as well in Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turning off the apps you don't want to run in the background, or toggle this feature off all together. You will notice that the apps that appear in this setting are the ones that use GPS or need to update themselves from other apps, such as your calendar.

If you use a lot of apps and switch between them a lot and you feel your phone is starting to get sluggish that is when you want to go in and close down some of the apps in the multitasking drawer. The snapshots do take up a little bit of memory and that will eventually start to slow things down. But they don't draw any power just sitting there. If you find that closing apps does help your battery life you may be closing down the few apps that are actually doing something in the background.

I also turn ON Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Limit Ad Tracking. This one doesn't get brought up much, but it is a battery drain as well.

And I strongly suggest that you set email to manually fetch when you open the Mail App rather than setting it to push so that your mail is automatically pushed to your phone. Pull mail is a real battery killer because it needs to wake your phone up every 15 minutes or so and ping your mail server(s).

Good luck with your phone and I hope you get to enjoy it and get as much use out of it as I do.

Jul 11, 2014 12:38 PM in response to bearcat6690

I meant to put this in my last response and realized it as I hit reply.

Apple doesn't "Monitor" these forums other than to make sure we are playing nice and not spreading rumors or for some reason taking surveys. So if there is something you really want to provide them as feedback, go to; http://www.apple.com/feedback and leave your feedback there. This information is actually looked at by someone with in apple.

Cheers.

automatically turn off apps when closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.