Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an External Hard Drive To Store my Media and Link to Applications (iTunes, iPhoto)?

Good Afternoon,

I purchased a Macbook Air as a hold over until I could get a Macbook Pro. Unfortunately some things have come up and I am going to have to wait a little longer than anticipated before buying the Macbook Pro. Since I initially intended to have this laptop only for a short time I got the bare bones one with the 128 GB SSD.

Is there a way to set things up so I can move all of my media ( Music, Movies, Pictures etc,, ) onto a external portable hard drive that I can connect to the the laptop before I boot it up and have applications ( iTunes, iPhote etc. ) automatically link to the hard drive and my media?

I called Apple to see what the cost would be, if it was even possible, to have the 128 GB replaced with a 256 GB and I was told that it is possible, but it not a service they offer. So he suggested that I do this instead.

I know this is something that is fairly easy to do on a PC as I have done it before, but my concern is if Apple applications would work. I always had the understanding that iTunes ( for example ) must have its files stored to the local drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:30 AM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Niel

I have multiple iTunes libraries on the system now. I have one for my iPhone ( I left that one called iTunes ), I have one for my Nano that I use when I run ( Called iPod Nano ), and I have one called AppleTV that holds my movies. I switch between them regularly, so I understand switching between libraries.

So it basically does not matter where the library is located ( Local Drive or External ), as long as the proper library is selected when the external is connected?

Can I use an External Hard Drive To Store my Media and Link to Applications (iTunes, iPhoto)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.