Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad 4 black screen won't boot itunes does recognize and tried to restore

A friend of mine brought me an ipad that she was given. The owner didn't know what happened and just went and bought another one. Must be nice! Anyway, my friend wants to get this fixed and brought it to me because she is no kind of geek. I'm running Windows 7, all updated, just checked. I installed most current iTunes, just checked that too. Ipad 4 is looking dead. No response to sleep button or home button. Press and hold both and no response ever. I have read through many options and have tried everything. If I open iTunes and plug in ipad while holding home button, iTunes recognizes the ipad and says it is in recovery mode and so forth. I click the button to restore and it asked to restore and update and I click that option. It downloaded the software package first time and then showed a progress bar on iTunes of unpacking the software and then it said installing or something and the progress bar zoomed across. All the while the ipad showed no reaction whatsoever. I let it sit for over 2 hours with no change to the ipad or iTunes. I hunted around online and found the IPSW file that I think is for this tablet. It said iPad 4 model A1458 which is the model number on back of this tablet. I'm downloading it now. I am planning to try the ****+click option in itunes and installing that IPSW.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I know my system is recognizing the ipad in DFU mode but I can't get any reaction on the tablet. I don't ever see any progress or results in iTunes or on the iPad. This thing has no physical damage so I don't think that's it. The original owner said one day a bunch of stuff popped up on the screen and then it shut down and would never come back.

I know there has to be a way to fix this. I don't believe it is truly bricked for all eternity.

And, yes, I have read many apple support articles about how to use recovery and rescue using old backups and whatnot. I don't have old backups for this device.

Thanks for any suggestions or solutions.

Victoria

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:42 AM

1 reply

ipad 4 black screen won't boot itunes does recognize and tried to restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.