Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeze problems - the spinning beachball strikes again

Long story short, I have Macbook Pro mid 2012, Mountain Lion and it keeps crashing. I restore via Time Machine but invariably it'll freeze when I'm booted up and when I have to force-quit I get the spinning cogwheel when I restart. I've tried all the 'stuck on grey screen' suggestions but nothing's working. Also my Time Machine (an external hard drive) seems to be having problems as well - it sticks on 94mb backed up out of a few gb. All help gratefully received

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:44 AM

6 replies

Jul 11, 2014 1:37 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Sadly this means nothing to me as I'm not technologically adept! Previously I've been limited to what backup points I could use from my disk; if I tried the latest, June 26th, it seemed to restore but then I couldn't get the log-on screen. I just tried June 12th and it allowed me in, but I got a strange message about the Time Machine disk having changed, and how I could try to use it or that it could be someone trying to trick me into using the wrong disk. When I do manage to log on, the behaviour of the external hard drive is very odd - when I enter Time Machine the backups seem incomplete, and some items aren't available for restore. Also, the disk seems to take forever 'preparing backup' and then, as I said earlier, tends to freeze on 94mb, and the whole rigmarole starts again. Time Machine preferences say 503 gb of 1 tb available, but oldest backup - 'none'

Jul 11, 2014 2:44 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I've tried safe boot but the progress bar stops about a third of the way in and the spinning gear comes back. I've tried all the 'how to get past the grey screen' hints. Someone has suggested I try a clean install because I may be restoring the cause of the problem when I restore the system Trouble is, I'm not sure how to do this. Any clues? oh,and my Time Machine is whirring away now, stuck on 9.16gb of 311gb

Jul 11, 2014 4:52 PM in response to MikeSheffield

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Freeze problems - the spinning beachball strikes again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.