Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to partition in order to run Boot Camp

I have an iMac 9.1 Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I have also downloaded the correct version of Boot Camp and saved to an external USB formatted for MS-DOS (FAT32).

Problem is I am receiving this message: "the startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition".

How can I partition the hard drive to correct this?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:32 AM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2014 11:45 AM in response to pacobell73

You need to simply run Boot Camp Assistant and it will help you partition the HD. Boot Camp Assistant is located in Applications - Utilities or you can launch it by opeing Spotlight and typing Boot Camp Assistant.

However one thing I think you may be missing is MS Windows CANNOT be installed on an external HD, don't blame Apple this is a Microsoft issue. Windows (and therefore Boot Camp) are designed to be run on the internal HD, not an external HD.

Jul 11, 2014 2:48 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi - thank you kindly for responding.

I am running Boot Camp Assistant. Problem is when I get to the option where I am to download the software to install the Boot Camp drivers (I select "Download the Windows support software for this Mac" because I do not have the Mac OS X installation disc that came with my iMac), it tells me the following:

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

Don't know where to go from there.😕

Also, I understand that MS Windows cannot be installed on an external HD; was not going to do that. 🙂

Jul 11, 2014 3:40 PM in response to pacobell73

If you no longer have the install disc that came with the computer then you will need to get a replacement disc. Call AppleCare and for a nominal cost they will send you a replacement DVD. You will need a credit card and the machines serial number.

One other thing, I will be the first to admit I am not a Boot Camp guru, there is however a Boot Camp forum you can post at where the Boot Camp gurus hang out. You may need to repost there if no one on this forum can help. The link to the Boot Camp forum is:

Boot Camp

How to partition in order to run Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.