Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad will not charge or reset

I have a third generation iPad that has given me virtually no trouble at all since I purchased it new. During a recent software update the iPad attempted to restart but remained 'stuck' on the 'Apple logo'. I allowed the iPad to sit for quite a while with no change. I eventually plugged it into the charger for several hours (thinking this must be the largest software update in history) but the screen remained 'frozen' displaying the Apple logo. After a while I attempted to reset the iPad and, as expected, the screen went blank with the Apple logo re-appearing in short order...but instead of restarting the screen remained 'frozen' with the Apple logo yet again. When next I tried to reset I was presented with a large battery icon with a small red line indicating (I assume) an almost completely discharged battery. This, despite the iPad having been plugged into the charger for hours. I gave up and left the iPad plugged in for the next 24 hours. The screen is still 'frozen' and the large battery icon still displays as discharged. I have since attempted several different chargers both at home and in the car (the 'event' occurred while I was in a hotel on a business trip). When I got home I tried plugging the iPad into my home computer thinking I could do a complete restore from iTunes but iTunes doesn't even recognize that the iPad has been connected via USB. I have tried using compressed air and a soft brush to clean the iPad pin contacts but nothing seems to make a difference. At the time of the attempted software update the iPad battery was reading about 50%. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 12:29 PM

There are no replies.

ipad will not charge or reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.