Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move to a different apple id

I use my @me account as my email and I am receiving spam like crazy from random emails, So I would like to create another Apple ID then transfer all my purchases to that account then close this account and then have a new @me email and use that as my primary account.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 2:07 PM

You can't move previous purchases to a different ID. They are permanently tied to the ID used to make the purchases. However, you can continue to use the existing ID for iTunes (and other services) and create a new iCloud account with a new ID; the IDs do not need to be the same. One other thing to be aware of is that all new accounts are assigned @icloud.com email addresses as @me.com addresses are no longer available.

If you want to migrate to a new account and keep your data, start by saving any photo stream photos that you want to keep to your camera roll (unless already there) by opening your my photo stream album, tapping Select, tapping the photos, tap the share icon (box with upward facing arrow), then tapping Save to Camera Roll. If you are syncing notes with iCloud that you want to keep, you'll need to open each of your notes and email them to yourself so you can later copy and paste the text into new notes created in your new account. Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password to turn off Find My iDevice and choose Keep on My iDevice when prompted. Then sign back in with a different Apple ID to create your new account and choose Merge to upload your data. When you turn on Mail in Settings>iCloud you will be asked to choose your new @icloud.com email address. (Type carefully as once created it cannot be changed.)

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 2:07 PM in response to JoshCoby

You can't move previous purchases to a different ID. They are permanently tied to the ID used to make the purchases. However, you can continue to use the existing ID for iTunes (and other services) and create a new iCloud account with a new ID; the IDs do not need to be the same. One other thing to be aware of is that all new accounts are assigned @icloud.com email addresses as @me.com addresses are no longer available.

If you want to migrate to a new account and keep your data, start by saving any photo stream photos that you want to keep to your camera roll (unless already there) by opening your my photo stream album, tapping Select, tapping the photos, tap the share icon (box with upward facing arrow), then tapping Save to Camera Roll. If you are syncing notes with iCloud that you want to keep, you'll need to open each of your notes and email them to yourself so you can later copy and paste the text into new notes created in your new account. Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password to turn off Find My iDevice and choose Keep on My iDevice when prompted. Then sign back in with a different Apple ID to create your new account and choose Merge to upload your data. When you turn on Mail in Settings>iCloud you will be asked to choose your new @icloud.com email address. (Type carefully as once created it cannot be changed.)

Jul 13, 2014 9:28 AM in response to JoshCoby

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but when you create a new iCloud account, then go to Settings>iCloud and turn Mail on, it will prompt you to choose an @icloud.com email account to go with it, not an @me.com email account.

Your existing @me.com email account will continue to function, and you can forward email from it but it isn't possible to create a new @me.com email account at this point.

Jul 13, 2014 1:57 PM in response to JoshCoby

HI and a help please

i I changed the email address on my Apple ID but inadvertently put an incorrect address !

messing about I now can't access that ID and can't change the password which I also got confused with as it was a recent change as the new email address has not been verified ( that was the incorrect address)

i created a new Apple ID but to delete the old one have to put in the password which I can't get !

is there a way of doing this or am I best off ringing tech support

i would prefer not to delete my current ID and just update it .

any ideas please

Jul 13, 2014 3:58 PM in response to patfromsunderland

You need to find a way to sign in with the email address that you accidentally changed your apple id to, the password will still be the same as your original apple id but the username will be different. If your not sure what you changed the apple id to call tech support and provide what your old apple id was and they might be able to recover your address.

If you have an idea of what the email was changed to just sign in on applied.apple.com if not call tech support

Move to a different apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.