Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving Apple trailers in Quick Time Pro

I'm no longer getting the option to save as Quick Time Movie when right clicking on a movie trailer.

Any body have any ideas to whats up ?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 12:15 PM

9 replies

Jul 11, 2014 3:53 PM in response to Neilp18

I'm no longer getting the option to save as Quick Time Movie when right clicking on a movie trailer.

Any body have any ideas to whats up ?

Options may vary according to OS, software in use, the hosting site, the manner in which a trailer "display" page is programmed, and/or the particular download workflow (standalone or reference) you are trying to use so more information might be of help here. E.g., on my system under Mavericks I normally recover the trailer URL using Safari and either download the reference MOV file using Safari or create a standalone MOV file using QT 7 Pro.

User uploaded file

Jul 12, 2014 2:45 PM in response to Neilp18

Since downloading to the latest version of QT I no longer have the option to save.

I have re installed the previous version of QT and still no joy.

What does this mean to you? Are you referring to QT 7 or QT X player when you refer to QuickTime Pro? Which version of the player? What operating system are you using? Are you attempting to download trailers from the http://movietrailers.apple.com/ web site or some other web Site? Are you trying to download standalone trailer clips or the reference files which only take up 4 KBs of storage space on your hard drive but require you to be connected to the internet while you watch the content? Is there a particular trailer clip that you are trying to download?

I'm using firefox, and have done previously with no problems, when watching apple trailers I used to just right click and save as a quick time movie.

Sorry, I'm not a Firefox user. While I did download, install, and use Firefox to recover the URLs (just as I do with Safari) and download a number of trailers using the QT X v10.3 and QT 7 v7.6.6 Pro players, I was unable to download content directly in Firefox as I can with Safari. Opening the context menu in Firefox displayed the following options:

User uploaded file

While I agree there is no "Save" or "Save As..." options here, neither has there been for the Safari context menu for quite some time as discussed a number of times previously in this forum since Apple began changing the manner in which "trailer" files were being programmed and/or shared.

User uploaded file

Strangely enough, if you recover the trailer URL in either Safari or Firefox and access it directly in the Safari browser, the the context menu does provide options to download (save) such content and looks like this:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, no such context menu opens if I try the same workflow using Firefox. Also of note here is the fact that this Safari workflow saves a copy of the trailer "reference" file—a 4 KB file that is resourced/linked to the specific dimension version of the file you want. (Most of the trailers I tested were available in 480p, 720p, and 1080p resolutions which is another improvement since Apple began making changes to the manner in which trailers are now accessed.

In any case, if you are trying to troubleshoot Firefox here, you might do better to visit the Mozilla/Firefox web site.

User uploaded file

Jul 13, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Neilp18

Its strange that the save option just disappeared with the new version of QT. I also reinstalled an earlier version of Firefox to see if that would work, but nope.

Probably not so strange. Too bad you continue to avoid telling us what "new version of QT" means to you since this may be linked with a change in capabilities or rather how the embedded structures and/or a different version of plug-in software affects Firefox's implementation of the context menu options depending on web page programming or a lack thereof. (I.e., see the different ways Safari and Firefox context menu's are implemented depending on the browser in use and manner in which the web page is programmed or lacks programming.) For the moment I am assuming that your reference to a QT upgrade really refers to a system OS upgrade in which a different QT structure is embedded with a "newer" version of the QT X player app and which may or may not have installed a different version of the QT 7 player and browser plugin. Since you won't tell us what you upgraded from or what you upgraded to, it is next to impossible to tell what specific changes took place or when. (I.e., to revert to the older Firefox functionality may require you to revert to an older Mac OS X version.) For me the biggest QT browser related changes where implemented in the Lion and Mountain Lion releases with the latest Maverick release concentrating more on the switch to the AVFoundation, Modernizer, and Convert system structure embeds which impacted more on QT X player and QL playback support. And, while you may lament the loss of Firefox functionality as much as previous users complained of the loss of the older ability to download any or all web page resources, the new "Develop/Developer" options are really very powerful and, at least for me, much more useful in the long run.

User uploaded file

Jul 13, 2014 10:42 AM in response to Jon Walker

Okay sorry not been to forthcoming with finer details.

I'll list below :

Windows 7 Professional operating system on a PC not MAC

Firefox version 30.0

Quick Time Pro version 7.7.5

It just seems to me that when viewing Movie Trailers from Apple, I'm no longer able to save them as a quick time movie.

I paid the subscription for the Pro version to be able to to do this now I cant.

I've tried using the safari web browser on the PC but the same is happening.

Neil.

Jul 13, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Neilp18

Windows 7 Professional operating system on a PC not MAC

Firefox version 30.0

Quick Time Pro version 7.7.5

Well, that certainly adds a few more layers of possible issues. As I may have implied in my previous responses, I am a Mac user with no recent experience on a Windows platform. (Haven't used a PC since retiring from teaching a decade ago.) Therefore, not sure if my answers apply to your system even though I suspect your update either includes software that affects the manner in which Firefox processes contextual menu options or excludes software that is no longer really needed for advanced forms of media playback now used as a "fallback" option in Firefox.

It just seems to me that when viewing Movie Trailers from Apple, I'm no longer able to save them as a quick time movie.

I paid the subscription for the Pro version to be able to to do this now I cant.

The process of viewing and downloading files has been undergoing a number of changes over the last several years. Originally, the web pages were programmed to open selected files in the QT 7 (or later in the QT X) media player to allow viewers to easily view and/or save the file. Then this option began disappearing from the programmed web pages along with certain content resolutions. Lastly, the web site and iTunes trailer features appeared to be more or less merged as far as many of the programmed web site pages are concerned. Frankly, Mac users have had to use alternative downloading workflows for some time now and the Firefox v30 browser workflow on a Mac is very similar to the way Safari has worked for some time now.

I've tried using the safari web browser on the PC but the same is happening.

Didn't realize the Windows version of Safari was still functional on Windows systems so I have been concentrating my efforts more on the Firefox v30 software for the Mac. Unfortunately, I was not sure if the Windows and Mac version were functionally equivalent. On the off chance that it was, I made a quick screen recording of how I use QT 7 Pro to load and save trailers found on the http://movietrailers.apple.com/ web site. I did not take the time to add a commentary track as I assumed were already familiar with the workflow even if not familiar with the specific Firefox v30 menu/info window options—assuming they are the same on a Windows 7 system. In any case, here is the URL for my clip. Let me know whether or not this workflow is compatible with your system. Had I known you were on a PC, I probably would not have responded initially, but as it is, this has been a learning experience for me.

http://downloads.walker4.me/Temporary_files/Firefox_trailers.mp4

User uploaded file

Saving Apple trailers in Quick Time Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.