Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Froze during 10.9.4 update

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro. When I attempted to install the most recent update to 10.9.4 the installation process froze with "1 minute left" for over 30 minutes. Now the computer will not even boot up, even in safe mode. Unfortunately I do not have a recent hard drive backup so any fix that would keep my data intact is preferable. Thanks!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 12:41 PM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2014 12:58 PM in response to LenaAnne

Boot into the Recovery Drive by holding down Command R when restarting.

Run Repair Drive and Repair Permissions using Disk Utility in Recovery.

Restart and see if that fixes the login problem

User uploaded file

If you still cannot login, boot back in recovery and reinstall OS X. This process should not damage your data but it's always advised that you backup first.

Also while in Disk Utility in recovery, check how much free space is on your drive.

User uploaded file

Jul 11, 2014 6:12 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Thanks. I tried repairing the drive and permissions. Still wouldn't load. I also tried reinstalling OS X from the disk utility. It downloads but never restarts. I tried to manually restart but it still gets stuck on the screen with the gray apple and the spinning gear. When I rebooted into recovery mode it downloaded the OS again but still no dice. Is there a different way to reinstall OS X? I have over 200GB of available memory so storage shouldn't be an issue.

Froze during 10.9.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.