Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini as Server

I'm attempting to use a Mac Mini as my server for a small office. The other computers on the network have access to the shared folders, and when I login using my laptop, I can also see the shared folders.

I cannot, however, access the folders from the Mac Mini when logged in as myself. I even created a separate account to try and separate my personal space from the company server.

I'm very new to the concept of a server, so perhaps I can't do what I'm trying to do.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 12:37 PM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2014 4:59 PM in response to pspadafore

Properly-configured and functional DNS services are critical for proper operations of distributed authentication and network encryption; for Open Directory and various other OS X Server components.

Please verify local DNS on the server. Launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities, and issue the following harmless diagnostic command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

You'll have to enter an administrative password for the sudo, might get a one-time message around the use of sudo, then some configuration information will display, and then an indication that no changes are required, or that there are issues with the network or DNS configuration.

Also, Apple recommends against logging directly into the server with a network account, as well.

Mac Mini as Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.