Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos appear to be reproducing like rabbits. I have ten times the number that should be there due to duplication.

Currently, my iPhoto program says I have over 17,000 pictures. Trust me . . . most are duplicates.

This is eating up my data so AT&T charges me an extra $15 a month AND I lose the ability to shoot new photos with my iPhone or iPad. This is NUTS!

I set up albums within iPhoto. When I move images into albums, are they simply copying them so each time I have two?

I am ready to throw my entire system and all Apple products off a mountaintop. I even purchased PhotoDeUpo and while it does identify many (maybe 25%) of the duplicates - in order to remove the duplicates I have to check them off one at a time.

MY LIFE IS BEING EATEN ALIVE BY SUCH INSANITY!

HELP!!!!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 1:51 PM

2 replies

Jul 11, 2014 2:43 PM in response to kidangel

I set up albums within iPhoto. When I move images into albums, are they simply copying them so each time I have two?

No you don't. Albums in iPhoto are like playlists in iTunes: only one actual audio file for a track that can exist in many playlists. Photos only occur "physically" on the hard drive in Events. All other occurrences of photos in iPhoto are just pointers to the original image in the Event.

This is eating up my data so AT&T charges me an extra $15 a month

My Photo Stream doesn't download via your data plan. It requires WiFi. The following is from this Apple document: iCloud: My Photo Stream FAQ

When do photos upload to My Photo Stream?

When you turn on My Photo Stream on your devices, all new photos you take or import to those devices will automatically push to your photo stream.

• iOS devices: New photos that you take automatically upload to your photo stream when you leave the Camera app and connect to Wi-Fi. My Photo Stream doesn't push photos over cellular connections.
  • Macs: Any new photos you import to iPhoto or Aperture automatically upload when you connect to Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Or you can change your iPhoto or Aperture preferences so that only photos you manually add to My Photo Stream upload.

You cell phone's data plan is not involved with uploading to your Mac.

User uploaded file

My photos appear to be reproducing like rabbits. I have ten times the number that should be there due to duplication.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.