Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aperture referenced master

Aperture 3.5.1

Originals are on an AirPort Time Capsule connected to my LAN.

Pictures imported as referenced masters ('store in their current location').

When 'Delete original and all versions', they land in the Aperture trash folder. Emptying the folder and selecting to move referenced files to System Trash, I always get the fault message 'You don’t have access to the System Trash on the original files’ volume.'

The files remain in the original location.

What am doing wrong???

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 1:14 PM

10 replies

Jul 11, 2014 1:58 PM in response to china-man

Typically there is not a trash on a network volume. So there's no way to move them to the trash. I don't know whether Aperture is intended to let you just delete files that are stored on a network share point. I do know that this is related to the issue though; there may not be a way to handle this other than manually deleting the files via Finder which would be complex and messy.

Jul 12, 2014 12:26 AM in response to William Lloyd

despite different statements in the forum, I found the following in the Aperture online help:

"When you delete a referenced original from Aperture, you can specify whether the photo’s version is placed in the Aperture Trash. When you empty the Aperture Trash, the link to the original is deleted, but the original remains in its current location in the Finder."

=> this is a nasty and a substantial drawback in using Aperture, as it makes both the Aperture library but as well the original photos a single-user environment. They need to reside local and directly attached to the Mac your using Aperture on.

Jul 12, 2014 12:39 AM in response to china-man

Some chapters of the Aperture manual need updating and are no longer current.

When you delete move a version of a referenced image to the Trash, and it is the last version of the image, you get a choice, if you want to delete the original file (in Aperture 3.5.1):

User uploaded file

This will work, provided, the originals are on a volume, that has a Trash.

Jul 12, 2014 12:56 AM in response to léonie

not sure about this, Leonie.

I'm running a Synology NAS box with a Linux kernel that definitely has a system trash and I still get the error message. There are some posts with respect to Apple's HFS+ file system that is only mountable read-only on a NAS. Therefore I went for an Apple TimeCapsule as an additional storage - however the very same symptom.

Did you verify that the described procedure still works for you, meaning the removed referenced files are also gone from the original storage location?

Jul 12, 2014 1:41 AM in response to china-man

and yes, this script works and does the trick!

workflow:

1) in Aperture, delete the pics and send them to the Aperture trash folder.

2) open the AppleSript editor under Utilities and select the 'photo delete script that you downloaded from the site I posted before (http://jonwsmith.com/techblog/?tag=aperture-applescript)

3) Run the AppleScript from within the Script editor. It gives you a dialogue on how many files will be deleted, you confirm and here you go!

overall one step more, but considering the benefits of referenced files (database size on the local mac is comparably small; allows multi-user access to the photos as such on the remote NAS etc) is worth considering.

Jul 12, 2014 11:10 AM in response to china-man

Did you verify that the described procedure still works for you, meaning the removed referenced files are also gone from the original storage location?

Yes, it works for me on any directly connected drive. When I use the command "File > Show in Finder" before deleting a referenced image, I see it vanish from its folder on the drive, no problem,

aperture referenced master

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.