Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto in a loop, won't open without upgrade, after upgrade, still says it won't open without upgrade-----

Hi-my,Photo,application,will,not,open.,When,I,try,to,open,it,,I,get,the,followin g,message:,"To,penn,your,library,with,this,version,Photo,,it,first,needs,to,be,p repared.,To,prepare,the,library,,use,the,Photo,Library,Upgrade,available,from,Ap ple.,After,that,,it,has,two,buttons,,either,"Learn,More",or,"Quit.",When,I,press ,"Learn,More",I,am,directed,to,a,embargoed,that,has,the,option,to,download,the,u pgrade.,After,I,download,the,upgraded,and,try,to,open,Photo,,I,get,the,same,mess age.

I had spoken to a Senior iPhone support person who I was trying to call again but, customer support keeps giving me the wrong phone number for a 4 digit extension.

When I spoke to Senior Support, we were moving my iPhoto library to my external disk drive. Which is what he accomplished. All went well until I plugged in my iPad to for update, download photos, upload new music, photos, podcasts,etc. At that time, iPhoto uploaded all my photos back to the computer. Now I need to reload my iPad but without being able to open iPhoto, I do not want to do it until I know that all is going to work the way that it is supposed to/

BTW-some of the problems I was having with iPhoto resulted from the Mavericks upgrade. For anyone out there who still has a Mavericks issue, Apple is now charging for phone calls despite it being an issue with the software and its' performance.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 1:51 PM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2014 4:31 PM in response to Jgreen007

He's one of the top contributors to the iPhoto community. And I agree with Larry: With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • what system version are you running?
  • and don't use the comma key in leu of the space key. It makes the text impossible to understand.
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

User uploaded file

Jul 11, 2014 6:08 PM in response to Old Toad

IPhoto version-I am not able to access the info since IPhoto won't open. If there is another way I can find this information, I'd be happy to get that for you

My computer is OSX 10.9.4

No fixes have been tried for this particular problem, prior to this I had been working with a Sr. Advisor who works for Apple in iPhoto-he was helping me to move my photos from my computer to an external disc drive since I have over 30,000 stored on my hard drive and it was filling up my internal disc drive. We accomplished that however, when I plugged my iPad in to download pictures, update software, add new music and pictures, IPhoto started to add photos from the external disc drive BACK to the computer. Subsequent photos downloaded from my iPad to my external disc drive are being stored on my internal disc drive, not transferred to the external file.Since then, iPhoto has not opened.

I have one library on my internal disc drive and apparently, one on my external as well. I have no idea if either are complete.

Prior to what the Sr. iPhoto Advisor and I did, I had been talking to Apple helped me solve various non-related iPhoto problems I was having after upgrading the Mavericks.

Can you tell me where you are looking to find whether I'm running a "Managed" or "Advanced" library? If it is something that I can find when I open iPhoto, am not able to access it. If I can go through something else to see, let me know.

Besides OSX, it is 2.66GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo

Free Space on Boot Drive? I have 194.17 GB free out of 319.21 GB free, is that what you consider the "Boot Drive?"

Jul 11, 2014 10:38 PM in response to Jgreen007

The Boot Drive is the drive with the Operating System on it - that means, in most cases, the internal drive on your Mac.

move my photos from my computer to an external disc drive since I have over 30,000 stored on my hard drive and it was filling up my internal disc drive. We accomplished that however

Can you clarify what exactly you moved?

Which library is causing the problem? The one on the Internal? Or the one on the External?

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' to select a library to open.

Jul 12, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Yer_Man

We moved my photo file.......

As to which library is causing the problem, I couldn't tell you.

When I held down the alt key and launched IPhoto, there were 2 files to chose from. The default file is the internal disk drive NOT external which it is supposed to be.

Am going to make an assumption--since my INTERNAL disc drive is the default file, when I plug in my iPad to update/load/download, etc. I would suspect that the iPad downloads photos to the INTERNAL rather than the external. If in fact this is the case, how do I:

1-merge the internal to external

2-make external the default so any and all downloads go to external

3-make sure that IPhoto will open without having to hit the alt key and IPhoto icon at the same time.

While we are at it--I have 2 external drives. One contains my iTunes library and about a year and a half of time machine backups. The second contains my photos and a duplicate iTunes library. Both have 1.5 terabyte capacity. The first one is almost full. Since I only use the computer for photos, music, taxes and an occasional letter that I write, I don't need to backup my computer every single day as it is doing right now, which also means that I don't need a 1.5 terabyte external drive full of daily backups.

Ideally, I would like to have 1 external disk drive that contains my photos, iTunes library and backups. I'd like my computer to access the external drive when I open both iTunes and iPhoto and I would like only 1 backup every week and have the oldest backup erased as i go.

thank you so much for responding and for your help. I very much appreciate it.

Julie

Iphoto in a loop, won't open without upgrade, after upgrade, still says it won't open without upgrade-----

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.