Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reset my Mac Book Pro to it's factory settings?

I downloaded a program and it won't shut down, even when i try to force quit it doesn't quit. This has led my Mac Book to not shut down. Every time i try to shut down/restart my Mac Book if always says something like "close the program before shutting down". The program won't close so I can't shut down or restart my Mac Book. I was wondering how I could reset my Mac Book, and if this would resolve the problem.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 1:04 PM

8 replies

Jul 11, 2014 1:13 PM in response to elliestubbs

Hopefully there's an easier fix than restoring to factory settings.

To force quit an app, press Command + Option + Esc

If that doesn't help, open Activity Monitor located in HD > Applications > Utilities

Select the CPU tab.

Select the name of the program under Process Name on the left then the click the Force Quit button User uploaded file top left in the Activity Monitor window.

How do I reset my Mac Book Pro to it's factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.