Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crashes on Startup (Still) 10.1.2

Hi.

FCP is crashing on startup. Updated to 10.1.2 / OS 10.9.4 / Macbook Pro mid 2012 / 8gb ram / 2.3 GHz

I can't get it to open.

I've tried:

trashing preferences

repairing prefs

rebooting

trashing cache files

uninstalling FCP as directed by the apple site

reinstalling from the app store.

rebooting

Making sure that nothing extra (HDs, etc) are connected

Total frustration.

Can anybody be my hero?

Thanks!

Brad in Denver

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 1:22 PM

6 replies

Jul 11, 2014 1:56 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks Ian. I tried it, created a new library on my desktop. It actually opened, but in about 8 seconds crashed again.

(I just reinstalled FCP, but when it opened it knew that the last time I had it open it crashed. I'm thinking I've missed some file or preference. But for the life of me I thought I had them all.)

I trashed

prefs

cashe files

application support FCP folder

the application itself.

What did I miss? Any other ideas? this is makin' me crazy.

Cheers and thanks.

brad

Jul 12, 2014 1:02 AM in response to Bubalooney

How did you trash the preferences and delete the app as there are right and wrong ways?

Here are some general troubleshooting suggestions:-

Use this free app to trash the preferences correctly. This should be the first thing you try when any problems occur.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

2. With FCP X shutdown, hold down option key and select Go>Library>Application Support>Final Cut Pro . . . trash the Layouts Folder.

3. Open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

4. Trash FCP X using this free app and reinstall it.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

5. If these measures don't work, create a new User Account (Admin) in System Preferences and try running FCP X from that as it sometimes works miracles.

Jul 12, 2014 3:57 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks Ian. You're very kind.

I did download the two apps, and used them to delete prefs and fcpx. Emptied trash. Rebooted. Rats...FCPX crashed upon start.

Tried opening a new user account.... FCPX did open for about 5 seconds this time, but crashed after 5.

I'm soooo bummed. And a teensy bit freaked because I'm late on a project but cannot get FPCX to work.

More ideas? Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Brad

Crashes on Startup (Still) 10.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.