Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i have to use power adapter to charge laptop?

We have an 11-inch MacBook Air (mid-2012) which came at the time with a power cord permanently (apparently) attached to a heavy (annoying) power adapter, which then becomes the 5 pin plug to charge the laptop. Is there a way to charge this without this bulky cumbersome long plug & heavy adapter? The small space where we use this & taking it anywhere makes this extremely annoying. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 1:45 PM

9 replies

Jul 11, 2014 3:18 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks Csound1… So this cannot be changed via USB or some other way the 5 pin plug can plug into some other lighter wall adapter? It just seems strangely cumbersome. The adapter looks like you could pull it apart or unplug it from itself. The ones I see online for sale (see attached photo) look like this. Mine has the same skinny wire attached to it (other end is the 5 pin magnetic plug to Air), but the other side of my adapter (in this picture where this looks like it would open), I have another thick wire which seems permanently stuck to this adapter and the end of that long thick wire is what plugs into the wall. Mine has this same "look" where you see the lines that imply it would open or be a plug of some sort, but this is where my thick electric wire is attached. Is that permanent or can I pull it apart and there's really a plug there to plug that into the wall (the adapter itself I mean). Hope I'm making myself clear.

Thanks!

User uploaded file

Jul 11, 2014 3:38 PM in response to Csound1

Please understand what I'm saying here - the adapter wouldn't be so annoying if it were the END of where you plug into the wall (like the piece you are showing in your photo. That picture implies that plug would be on the adapter and plug straight into the wall. Mine instead has another thick loooong cord so the heavy adapter ends up in the middle of this long string from the AirBook to the actual wall plug, which is what makes it drop due to the weight of the adapter in the middle of the loooong string, so it yanks out of the magnetic hold on the laptop and forces you to have to have this loooong whole thing lying on top of your desk or whatever - this is why its a pain. I am hoping you are telling me I can instead pull this apart and that long thick electric wire really is not necessary and that the adapter has a plug like you are showing. That would let me keep the weight of the adapter on the wall and not have this long wire with a heavy adapter in the middle.

Am I making sense? Thanks!

Jul 11, 2014 7:01 PM in response to stedman1

Steadman1 - OMG thank you! This answers my question! What I have is the entire thing - in your drawing, the choice on the bottom, but I had no idea how it pulled apart, so it seemed permanently stuck that way and I didn't want to force it. Now I can see it disengages by pulling it upward! This laptop was purchased new and came with the plug, but an IT person put it together (apparently) and provided it to the owner who left it in the US as she is in Europe 90% of the time using an iPad. We use this laptop for various things and it has been hogging space and clumsy to move around because of the way the cord is, forcing us to keep it all on a desk to avoid the weight of the adapter yanking it out of the magnetic charge portion of the laptop.

Now I can see that I can remove this and put a regular plug (if I can't find it, I can buy one!) and keep the heavy adapter on the ground level where the electric wall sockets are -

Thank you!!!!

do i have to use power adapter to charge laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.