Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question mark folder starting up and no disk in disk utility.

Hi.

I was watching a video online, suddenly my macbook left responding so I turned it off manually, I started it again and then instead of the bitten apple appeared a folder with a question mark in it. I rebooted my mac pressing cmd+R and at that moment it asked me to connect to wifi to start something called Internet Recovery, I waited for it to be ready and then it launched me to disk utility but MacintoshHD doesn't appear.

If my HD could be recovered it would be wonderful but what I'm strongly worried about right now is about all the contents of my HD, what can I do to get it out? I was reading an answer to another question like mine and the expert asked the person to reboot and then press "t"... I made that and what appeared were a firewire icon and something like an arrow in a ray form and a battery charge icon... I was reading in that topic that something could be done to get back the contents using another Mac. I have another one which is a 10.9.4, mine, I don't know which is but is newer that this one.

I hope someone could help me because I'm totally in shock.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 3:16 PM

6 replies

Question mark folder starting up and no disk in disk utility.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.