Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacbookPro 13'' temperature problem

Hi everyone, I have a Macbook Pro 13'' Mid-2012 (A1278) with a Intel Core i7 2.9GHz for a year ago, but the cpu fan is a little noisy and I check temperature with a "Temperature Monitor App" and CPU Temp is 80ºC with only Chrome and Coda 2 opened.

Normally I work on 3D applications like Autodesk Maya and AutoCAD, this apps can overheat the cpu but now i can't work with these apps because the performance is very low, I cleaned up the logic board and temperature don't decrease.

¿How can I decrease CPU Temp? I bought a new CPU Fan and I don't want it damage again...

Thanks for help me and sorry for my english I speak spanish

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 3:07 PM

15 replies

Jul 11, 2014 4:11 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I do a SMC Reset three times a month because the light indicator not work correctly. And sometimes reset PRAM too.

And the magsafe connector is so hot like 100ºC but charge the battery and works fine but is hot. I have 2 chargers one 65W (original) and another 95W from another macbook and both have the same temperature problem.

Fan Speed is 6140 rpm and CPU temp is 75ºC, I think a change the thermal compound.

Jul 11, 2014 4:31 PM in response to Nahomi López

Nahomi López wrote:

And the magsafe connector is so hot like 100ºC but charge the battery and works fine but is hot. I have 2 chargers one 65W (original) and another 95W from another macbook and both have the same temperature problem.

100°c on the charger body is unacceptable and would be impossible to touch for more than a second. Mine have never been more than 55°c. There is something terribly wrong here. Look at the contacts between the charger and the MBP. Is there any discoloration? the pins in the charger connection are spring loaded, do they move easily?

Fan Speed is 6140 rpm and CPU temp is 75ºC, I think a change the thermal compound.

The CPU temperature is not bad nor is the fan speed. I have doubts about that replacing the thermal paste will improve thew situation.

Open the MBP and see if there is dust an debris inside. I f so clean it out.

Again, delete Google Chrome and see what happens. It has been known to have compatibility problems with OSX.

Ciao.

Jul 12, 2014 4:12 AM in response to Nahomi López

Nahomi López wrote:

I can't touch the magsafe because is so hot, unplug it from cable.

That has me very concerned. There is something very wrong here. Bring the MBP and the charger to an Apple store or AASP and have it examined. If no issues are found, then there may be a problem with your domestic electrical system. It should never get that hot.

Can you post images of Temperature Monitor and Activity Monitor when the MBP gets hot. Set Activity Monitor to ALL PROCESSES and CPU to display values from high to low.

Ciao.

Jul 12, 2014 10:38 AM in response to Nahomi López

Nahomi López wrote:

It's incredible, I changed the thermal compound and temperature it decrease at 48-50ºC.

I must say that I am surprised but pleased for you.

I attach an image of Activity Monitor with my normal work load I see the temp is 50ºC but I fixed the fan speed at 6200 rpm

What happens to the temperature when to disable the fan control? Please try it.

Ciao.

MacbookPro 13'' temperature problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.