Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple AE and AE AC

i have mixture of AEx, AE and 1 new AE AC

AEx are used for Airplay only, not extending

AE is hard wired towards the end of the house

AE AC is located in the office.

QUestion

whats the best way to set up a good strong fast network?

i currently have network A, network A 5GHz for both AE and AE AC with same name and password.

Network A running 802.11g/n mix

Network A 5GHz at 802.11n only

i have 2 devices that's still 802.11g

should i make 5ghz name same as 2ghz so all SSID will be identical?

ahould I not even bother with 5GHz?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 2:39 PM

8 replies

Jul 11, 2014 5:23 PM in response to eggyacid

QUestion

whats the best way to set up a good strong fast network?

i currently have network A, network A 5GHz for both AE and AE AC with same name and password.

Network A running 802.11g/n mix

Network A 5GHz at 802.11n only

i have 2 devices that's still 802.11g

should i make 5ghz name same as 2ghz so all SSID will be identical?

ahould I not even bother with 5GHz?

Thanks

What you have setup sounds pretty good.

Each unit should be set to create a wireless network. Same SSID or wireless name (in apple speak). Same security.

It is totally up to you if you use same name for both bands or different. The idea of the same name is to allow the clients to roam between signal sources and bands.

G wireless is seamless with N wireless .. it will be fine.

5Ghz is totally what AC wireless is about.. If you bought a new AC wireless version AE there is nothing gained whatsoever unless you use 5ghz.

Although you might not have many AC clients now.. even dual band ones will work much faster on 5ghz..

eg my MBP 2001 is set with speed limit of either 150 or 217mbps with 2.4ghz but it works at 450mbps at 5ghz. So as long as you are in range the 5ghz is much better.. !!

Also with 2.4ghz overused now.. 5ghz is often the only way you can get wifi to work at all.

Jul 11, 2014 5:34 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks,

I have 2 computers that are AC.

What would happen if I change all the network name to be the SAME.

Airport Extreme Dual Band

2.4GHz - Network A

5GHz - Network A

Airport Extreme AC

Network A

5GHz - Network A

Will this mess anything up? will my devices pick the fastest one available?

I don't want to have my fast AC laptop end up talking to the Airport Extreme Dual band.... is it smart enough to pick the fastest network?

Jul 11, 2014 5:45 PM in response to eggyacid

I Gotta ask.... How far apart are these? Do you have multiple modems?

have you looked at AirPort Utility? (Free download from the App Store). It shows you how the routers are mapped on your home network.

unless you have multiple modems, 10 devices connecting daily through each modem, and the area you are covering is like 2 Acres in size, you have more than you need.

my home is 3 stories, 4,000 sq/ft on 3.5 Acres. My ONE AirPort Extreme (5th generation) is placed in my basement. It covers the house and into the yard in all directions.

Jul 11, 2014 5:54 PM in response to lizdance40

my office is at the front of the house and towards the other side, i often not getting any signals.

now I have added another AE (Gen 5) in my bedroom, it has helped. But now i'm running an Network A and Network A 5GHz

i just need to best optimize my network... i read somewhere about having everything with the same SSID even if they are different frequency.

just want to know what you guys think

Jul 11, 2014 6:14 PM in response to eggyacid

just want to know what you guys think

I prefer different.. I prefer control over automatic when it comes to wireless.. I do not believe that Auto picks the right thing often enough yet.

Conversely loads of people leave everything on auto and are blissfully ignorant.

Use that old engineering method suck and see.

It will take you just a few minutes to change all your AP's. Then see if it works.

I strongly recommend btw you use names without spaces.. Simple name like AEwifi

Leave that for everything.. does it work better or not..

None of us can give you a definitive answer because this is the realm of voodoo.. !!

Jul 11, 2014 6:27 PM in response to eggyacid

rewind to my modem query... You have one?

If yes, you have created a network extension and should leave it on automatic. Apple devices have little use for 2.4 ghz but non apple devices will often use them. Leave both available.

AirPort utility would show the chain between routers.

with one modem, the routers act as one and do not need separate names and passwords, they will act as one.

Jul 11, 2014 7:49 PM in response to lizdance40

Yes, one modem from AT&T UVerse. My Airport Extreme AC is plugged into the modem in my office then hardwire connection to the other parts of the house via Gigabit Ethernet

Modem --- Airport AC ---- Airport AE )))))) Airport Express (Airplay Only, Bridge not extending)

)))))) Airport Express (Airplay Only, Bridge not extending)

Multiple AE and AE AC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.