Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get my mac desktop from nj to az

im moving from Hazlet NJ to Tempe Az i was wondering if any one knew a good way to get my Imac(intel) sent out there

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 2:52 PM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2014 2:56 PM in response to nnabel

If you have the original box and packing that wold be the best approach since Apple ships in those boxes.

If not, I would go to a box store, get a box larger than the overall height, width and depth dimensions of the iMac, and a roll of bubble wrap. Most shipping supply stores and Home Depot have rolls of bubble wrap. Make sure the iMac is well wrapped and if possible, get some styrofoam peanuts or the like to fill the extra space. And, of course, pay for shipping insurance so it is covered.

Jul 12, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

I agree with Ralph, because I had UPS ship my iMac across-country last year.

Make sure you don't slip the keyboard in the box up against the monitor; I taped a thick piece of cardboard over it. Make sure there's no movement of the computer or the power cord if you include that. Just imagine the box being dropped on its edge when you pack it.

Insure it & track it online. And if there's important data on it, back it up -- twice. I wouldn't ship the installation disks with it, in case you need them later.

And if there's personal data on it, I would erase the disk, too, in case it never arrives. I asked UPS to "require a signature" upon delivery; but after a week when UPS delivered my iMac, the driver saw my garage door open, dropped it off there and drove away. S/he never got my sig, nor rang my doorbell!

If someone had stolen it from my garage, they would have only found a blank HD, and not my Quicken files, photos, etc. I took the 2 external drives with the Time Machine backups on the airplane with me. (I showed the T S A folks what was in my carry-on bag, in case they thought its X-ray looked strange.)

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Cheers!

how do i get my mac desktop from nj to az

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.