Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade from iTunes 11.3 Mac

I made the horrible mistake of updating to iTunes 11.3. Now I get an endless series of beachballs. Sometimes I'm told it's processing album artwork, other times I'm told nothing. I have a lot of podcasts on my machine.

I'm traveling now, but I'm wondering if I can downgrade by restoring from my Time Machine backup at home, once I'm back home next week, to blow away everything and restore it to whatever it was before 11.3. I'll lose two weeks of work, but I'm willing to do that to have a functional version of iTunes back to manage my podcasts.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:03 PM

It may involve more than just the application file and the library files. At least you have the earlier version but normal downgrading involves a number of files and obscure locations. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4554293?answerId=20441404022#20441404022

I know this is for a different version but it outlines the complete process unless you intend to revert your whole computer back to two weeks ago.

Downgrade iTunes 11 to iTunes 10.7 - http://www.emacconsulting.com/apple/itunes/downgrade-itunes-11-to-itunes-10-7/

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 9:03 PM in response to Obscuranta

It may involve more than just the application file and the library files. At least you have the earlier version but normal downgrading involves a number of files and obscure locations. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4554293?answerId=20441404022#20441404022

I know this is for a different version but it outlines the complete process unless you intend to revert your whole computer back to two weeks ago.

Downgrade iTunes 11 to iTunes 10.7 - http://www.emacconsulting.com/apple/itunes/downgrade-itunes-11-to-itunes-10-7/

Jul 11, 2014 9:47 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for those.

I figured I might revert my machine to its state two weeks ago, if I can, and use my offsite backup on Crashplan to restore things I know aren't iTunes related (text documents and spreadsheets I've been working on, mainly). Is Time Machine usable for a full revert like that? I vaguely recall hearing it wasn't, but that was a long time ago, and may not have been good information when I heard it.

Jul 13, 2014 7:54 AM in response to Obscuranta

Hi fellows in suffering

I updated on Friday morning and immediately even clicking on Podcasts in the sidebar started to become a minute-long wait - the beachball is pretty but that's it - 5 hour conversation with help desk did a lot of probably nice cleaning up of my hard-drive but nothing to even remotely indicate that podcasts might be updatable, deletable and everything else before the next iTunes update.

By the way the help-desk woman did know nothing of the glitch even though the night before I had sent 3 or 4 of those automatically generated crash reports. Something is deeply deeply wrong at Apples.

Given that lots of Podcast-offerings by the BBC expire after 7 days I am in deep and very justified mourning and that after only 9 months of quiet - remember the debacle in September last year when they had come up with that hare-brained non deletable icloud-contents cluttering the screen?

I am seriously considering to buying next a cheap Microsoft and pay the local dealer for helping me.

Jul 15, 2014 1:18 PM in response to Obscuranta

Just to let you know that I am sharing your pain - I too use iTunes for managaing my podcast subscriptions - and this version of iTunes has basically killed that hobby. It just doesn't work - simple as that -

I also get the beachball when trying to scroll lthrough my podcasts, - well in fact you can't even call it scrolling anymore, as it jumps all over the place - making the app totally unusable.

I too am that frustrated with it, that I am willing to lose work and revert back to an older version using time machine.

For me iTunes 11.3 is a broken piece of apple software.

Jul 15, 2014 1:39 PM in response to popsynic

dear popsynic

a remedy just for now till the next update and probably the next catastrophe is to avoid list view and use only My Podcast view which has been greatly improved with this update (wonders galore it shows the subscriptions now in alphabetical order instead of that random thing they had before) - it is more awkward to handle than list view but at least it doesn't beachball or jump or freeze - it works albeit for mass consumers it is more time consuming.

Jul 15, 2014 3:52 PM in response to Silkefromdeu

Thanks for this - and yes you're right My Podcast View does work slightly better than list view - but still does jump a bit - and i have realised I now have over 75 podcast subscriptions - it's just not practical way to manage my media content

So tonight I have reverted back to iTunes 10.7. I followed a few youtube videos, and it was dead easy and took just a few minutes. And now my podcast lists scroll beautifully as before - in all their 10.7 simplistic glory - heaven.

So I now have a complete working version of 10.7 back on my iMac, complete with my old library working just as it was befiore the upgrade to 11.3.

(if anyone wants the links to the instructions to do this I can provide on here - its really easy to do - especially if you have a time machine backup of your iTunes library)

The only downside now is that when I upgraded itunes to 11.3 I also updated ny Iphone 4s to iOS 7 - which will now not sync with any version of iTunes before 11. aggghhhhhhh!!! So I am trying to think of a way to deal with that issue. I may have to use an older iPhone I have that is running iOS6.

It really is frustrating though that Apple is developing apps and processes that basically mean that we (consumers) either dread or avoid, and we are are all jumping through hoops to avoid having to install these updates, prefering to use older (more stable?) versions. Makes no sense to me.

I want to be able to look forward to new updates coming out from Apple, not dread them - like I currently do.

Jul 15, 2014 4:04 PM in response to Obscuranta

You can revert back to iTunes 10.7 without having to use Time Machine (and lose work)

Heres the videos - it's dead easy, I did it tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BpWzUsasEo

After this when you restart ITunes press OPTION and it allows you to choose your old library (for example mine is stored on an external drive). It may tell you that the .itl file was created by a newer version of itunes. No prob. just name that one .old, and then copy and past the one from 'Previous itunes Library' folder, and name that one the same as the one you just named .old

Try again, (press option key - launch iTunes - choose your itunes media folder ) and thats it - Itune 10.7 will open with your old library intact.

Video explaining this here - http://youtu.be/xXKZ2IBNsIA

Only issue I now have is how to sync my iphone which is running ios7 (which requires a nerwer version of itunes 11 or above - bit of a catch 22 i guess)

Jul 15, 2014 4:07 PM in response to popsynic

popsynic wrote:

You can revert back to iTunes 10.7 without having to use Time Machine (and lose work)

After this when you restart ITunes press OPTION and it allows you to choose your old library (for example mine is stored on an external drive). It may tell you that the .itl file was created by a newer version of itunes. No prob. just name that one .old, and then copy and past the one from 'Previous itunes Library' folder, and name that one the same as the one you just named .old

Try again, (press option key - launch iTunes - choose your itunes media folder ) and thats it - Itune 10.7 will open with your old library intact.

and you have lost everything you have done in iTunes since you upgraded.

Jul 16, 2014 5:49 AM in response to had2B

Whenever you update iTunes with a new version, iTunes copies the current iTunes library,.itl file to Previous iTunes Libraries folder.

It then updates the file to the new version of iTunes. You cannot use an iTunes library.itl file from a newer version with older version of iTunes.

For example, if you updated iTunes 10.7 to iTunes 11 back in May, then you reinstall iTunes 10.7 and reuse that iTunes library.itl from May, that's what you get.

Any changes in iTunes since May are not there.

Jul 16, 2014 6:09 AM in response to Chris CA

It is as Chris CA says as regards to the age of the library file. If you added music a few weeks later than your May library it will not appear in iTunes. The media files may, however, still be on your computer and you can manually add them again if you remember what you have or do various other steps that add everything in your iTunes Media folder back into iTunes. If you edited tags on music files you may find those will re-appear if you highlight the track in the old library. iTunes stores tags both in the library file and for most files also in the file itself. Once you activate iTunes into looking at the file again (e.g., by playing it), iTunes will update the library data to match that in the file.

Jul 28, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Obscuranta

Hi.

To all the misery mentioned here I can add mine: since 11.3 it is no longer possible to access my photo library, nor via the media list nor when trying to sync my photo's to my iPhone or iPad. My photo library is a former iPhoto lib, now operated by Aperture, which in itself is working fine. But, when I try to add e.g. photo's to a Facebook album, I can no longer choose "photos" from the media list. I must now export the photos to, say, the Desktop and then use those. Syncing to IOS does not work at all: iTunes does not even see the photo library.

I Reported this as a bug, but get an answer it is a duplicate of an already known bug. Which they do not solve

Wonder what is going on at Apple......

Jul 28, 2014 10:52 PM in response to Obscuranta

To all the other misery mentioned, I add that the "Refresh Podcast" feature became nonfunctional, neither for individual podcasts or the "refresh all" button that was (inexplicably) moved from the LRC to URC of the Podcasts window.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about. I wanted to provide a solution, at least for those who still have 11.2 in Time Machine. The problem is that following the normal instructions to restore an item will fail; you'll get an error saying that "iTunes cannot be moved or deleted because it is required for OSX". And indeed, you cannot move or delete iTunes manually; you can't drag it to the Trash and if you try to drag it to the Desktop the system will instead create a shortcut.

But through the magic of the Terminal window, this issue can be overcome, as follows:

0. You have to have root enabled on your machine. You can google the instructions for that, they're not hard. (But it goes without saying that if they scare you, or if using the command line in general scares you, this solution is not for you.)

1. Open a Finder window to your Applications folder, then open Terminal. Type at the command prompt:

sudo mv[space]

2. Now click on iTunes and drop it in the Terminal window. This action adds the path to the end of your typing - it's an easy way of avoiding typos. Finish typing:

sudo mv /Applications/iTunes.app /.

3. Press Enter. You'll be prompted for your user password. iTunes will be moved to the root of your hard drive. We're putting it there in case things go pear-shaped, you can easily back out of the change.

4. Now enter Time Machine and find an earlier version of iTunes. Note that it has to be 11.x; going back to 10 will break all kinds of things. Click Restore. You'll be prompted to enter your password to write into the Applications folder.

5. That should do it. Launch iTunes and make sure everything is still working. If so, you can Trash the copy of 11.3 now in the root of your HD.

Downgrade from iTunes 11.3 Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.