Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Safari jumps once and stops...

I am using iMac OS X version 10.9.4 and it runs (not any more) Safari 7.0.5

I was working on online photobook and once closed it didn't wont to open again. I need to finish the book but unable toopen Safari. As the only browser on Mac can't get any internet at all. The icon jumps once and stops there. Tried to verified disc and clicked Repair Disc Permissions but now Safary icon bouncesfor a shorttime and after that we are back to step one.

I never in 4 years had any problem whatsoever. Please can anyone help? Thanks

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 2:56 PM

9 replies

Jul 11, 2014 6:02 PM in response to Robby71

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Jul 12, 2014 5:09 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis

Done as you said and came up folowing:

Safari: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting

Com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: (com.apple.Safari.5488 [767]) Exited with code: 1

By the way I retyped all that because Safari being the only browser on iMac I can't acces internet. Reposting this via tablet.What's the next step? Definitely I'll upload another spare browser :-)

Hi Carolyn Samit

Tryed that but without result, still doing the same or not opening Safari.

Was worth a try thanks anyway

Robby

Jul 12, 2014 6:16 AM in response to Robby71

You probably ran a defective third-party "utility" such as "CleanMyMac" or "MacCleanse" that purports to "clean up" "junk" files. What it really does is to corrupt the operating system and many applications.

The first thing you need to do is remove that software according to the developer's instructions. Never install it, or anything like it, again. Then see below.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance. You can skip this step if you don't care about the data that hasn't been backed up.

Reinstall the OS.* Your data should be unaffected unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you use FileVault 2, then before running the Installer you must launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main Recovery screen.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.9 ("Mavericks"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Jul 12, 2014 1:02 PM in response to Linc Davis

It took some time but YES Safari its back on :-) Linc Davis you are a genius thanks a lot. I will get of my iMac the nasty CleanMyMac2 ! What is the best way to tackle the uninstall of this or any other unwanted or unused programs. For some time the Lightroom was quite slow on opening and working any advise on that?

Thanks a lot for help Linc Davis

Jul 12, 2014 1:10 PM in response to Robby71

"CleanMyMac" is a scam. I've found it being distributed through the same channels as the "Genieo" trojan.

The developer's instructions don't completely remove it. Follow those instructions, then do as below.

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Repeat with this line:

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent

Restart the computer and empty the Trash. Never again install "CleanMyMac" or anything like it.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jul 12, 2014 1:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

I did as you said but when uninstalled the program did ask me for password to do so. But the second bit "reveal in finder" did come up as "The folder can't be found." with both of

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent.plist

and

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent

That should be yes?

Thanks again

iMac Safari jumps once and stops...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.