Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-127D burn DL disks?

Everyone is telling me that my eMac can't burn DL disks, but don't my specs say otherwise???

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-127D:

Firmware Revision: B912

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cache: 2000 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: No

I can write +R DL DVD's right??? And how do I know if it can read +R and + RW CD's or even if it can read all formats in DVD? I'm guessing I can't burn in formats not mentioned right??? How can I find what it is able to read? is it safe to assume it can read whatever format it can write in?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 2:48 PM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2014 3:59 PM in response to Edz2

ROM - Read Only Media

DL - Dual Layer or Double Layer (the manufacturing process for the two is slightly different, but it has no impact on your capabilities).

DVDs which can be written have variants. +R and -R, -RW and +RW.

The +R and -R versions have Single and Dual/Double layer variants and go from 4.3+ GB to 9 GB.

The -RW and +RW do not have dual layer variants AFAIK. The RW are write-many times media.

*3 separately stated the Dual- vs Double- layer DVDs (due to manufacturing differences) separately. Sometimes a notation like

DVD +/- R DL is used to specify DVD -R DL and DVD +R DL as a single combination.

The Firmware upgrade and the appropriate OS versions should help you write DL media.

If you are curious read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd

Jul 11, 2014 6:12 PM in response to Edz2

One thing I should add is that DVD also have a Double-Side variant, which allows both top and bottom surfaces which essentially could allow 18GB, but they were never available in consumer space, but commercial DVD-Video started using one side for full-screen and the second side for widescreen versions. The soundtracks may also vary on either side.

I suggest you try a good brand and worst case it will be a good coffee coaster. 😉

Can PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-127D burn DL disks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.