Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina MBP Heat Issues(?)

Hi guys.

So, I've decided to replace my old Macbook Pro (mid-2009) with a newer model, since I'm going off to university in September (Law School).

I really had my mind set on either the Retina Macbook Pro 13" or 15", but then I accidentally came across an article about heat issues with the Retina MacBooks.

Most of the articles were written in 2012, which had me thinking that Apple had solved this problem since then, but I also found some rather new articles, written in late-2013.

What has really gotten to me is that most of these articles states that even watching (streaming) Netflix may cause the Retina-MBP to heat up, to a level at which some users find it hard to still use the keyboard (due to the heat).

Besides using my new computer for school assignments (presumably large text files), E-mail and basic Safari use (reading news, Facebook, blogs, online banking)

I often spend quite some time watching YouTube videos, and this is where I'm nervous that things might go wrong. Will the Retina-MBP heat up simply by watching/streaming YouTube videos for an hour - maybe two?

I hardly ever play games on my current Macbook Pro. I've installed the 'Lego - Harry Potter' game on it, but I rarely play, so my (main) concern isn't about gaming.

What I don't get though is that: Basically all of the 'vloggers' I watch on YouTube have the 13" or 15" Retina-MBP, which they use to edit their videos. I've seen them sit with their laptops in bed as well, which isn't the best idea if your laptop gets hot easily. Both these scenarios are the reason why I had never imagined this would be a problem!

My question, basically: Does the Retina Macbook Pro (13" and/or 15") still heat up when used for e.g. watching a movie?
I'm not sure I'm cool with the idea of purchasing such an expensive machine, knowing that it will heat up whenever I go on YouTube, Netflix or play a DVD.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully some of you can help me out here.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 4:00 PM

3 replies

Jul 11, 2014 7:02 PM in response to MortenEJ

I too was in the exact same situation as you awhile back. I read about way to many problems with the Retina MacBook Pro's and opted out. I went with the highest model of the latest non-retina model, the mid-2012. Maxed out specs and surely don't regret it. I'd love the retina display, although I don't want to deal with the heat issues and all other issues. Now, whatever Mac you buy will heat up a lot more than any PC laptop. But I guess its something you have to get used too.

Flash does heat up the Mac a lot and I use HTML5 Instead of flash for youtube as its a significance decrease in heat. I also watch lot of vloggers on youtube 😝.

Jul 12, 2014 9:02 AM in response to JaiJethani

Thank you so much for replying/helping me out here. I don't know what to do. I've considered the same as you did by maxing out specs on a 'regular' MacBook Pro, but at the same time I'm afraid I might regret not getting a more updated MacBook now that I'm getting a new one 🙂.

I too use HTML5 for YouTube, but there are so many sites which still use Flash, and just can't stand the idea of a new MacBook getting all cooked up because I'm surfing the web for a few hours straight 😝

I guess I should try go to a store and see if it's possible to 'stress test' the display machines. I probably won't get much valuable info from the salesmen 😉

Jul 12, 2014 10:46 AM in response to MortenEJ

No problem at all!

Now as I mentioned earlier, I did get the normal MacBook Pro and honestly, I'm pretty satisfied with it. If I were to own a Retina MacBook Pro and use it on a daily basis, then I'd be truly able to give an opinion you're looking for.

Now when I first got my regular MacBook Pro, I thought it had heat issues too. But all testings that were conducted came out positive for my MacBook Pro, and that it was fine and functioning. Bear in mind though, I do have the 2.9 Ghz, and i7 which means A LOT of power 😝.

Another thing you should keep in mind is that you'll be saving quite a few $$ as well buying the older MacBook Pro. I got mine for 1299 w/o tax. While if you spec out the retina one to max....it gets too $1700 I believe.

Now another thing I learnt is that Macs are supposed to get hot especially the bottom part as it acts like the heat sink of the entire machine.

I'm not sure how much you'll find out in terms of stress testing the device at the stores, or info from the salesman but obviously you can give it a try!

In conclusion, what you can do is monitor your temperature at all times if heat is a concern. Don't let to many applications run if not being used. Don't let applications eat up your CPU as that results in tremendous heat as well.

But in the end, it's your choice anyways which one you want to get.

Retina MBP Heat Issues(?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.