Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just purchased my 1st mac and want to start my iTunes fresh. I have all my music on an external hard drive and want iTunes stored on it. How do i do this

I have just purchased my 1st Mac Mini,

I haven't imported any music yet except from purchased music.

I have 100gb of music on an external hard drive (already formatted to Mac OS Journaled.

I want my iTunes to be store on the External Hard drive, and to update my External Hard drive with new music I add to iTunes.

I also want to know the best way of adding my music on the Ext Hard drive e.g.: "add folder to library" or "import"

I plan on buying a Macbook Pro soon, and want to be able to use the same iTunes library.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 3:46 PM

Launch iTunes with the Option key held down, click on Choose Library, and specify it. If the external drive doesn't contain the iTunes database files, create a new library there and import that music.

If the library contains any rented movies, they won't play on a different computer.

(109334)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 3:46 PM in response to sherrynewmac

Launch iTunes with the Option key held down, click on Choose Library, and specify it. If the external drive doesn't contain the iTunes database files, create a new library there and import that music.

If the library contains any rented movies, they won't play on a different computer.

(109334)

I have just purchased my 1st mac and want to start my iTunes fresh. I have all my music on an external hard drive and want iTunes stored on it. How do i do this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.