Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod 5th gen doesn't charge!!

Hi,

My iPod (5th gen) won't charge. The problem is not caused by the cable (several cables tested) and not by my computer. It must be my iPod there is something wrong with. What could be wrong?

Important to know is that my iPod charged normal at first but after some time the cable had to be pressed down a little. It got worse and now It is nearly impossible to get it charged properly.

Lennart

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 4:22 PM

2 replies

Jul 11, 2014 6:38 PM in response to Xoipoep

Hey Xoipoep, Have you checked the charging port on your iPod? Lint or other foreign debris can get packed in there and stop the cable from locking into the port and making a solid electrical connection. With a strong light and magnifying glass look in and around the port, your looking for cracks, missing pieces or damage to the gold pins and debris, most often packed lint or corrosion. Attempt to blow debris out if that fails to work use a non-conductive probe, I find a round wooden toothpick works very well. Be careful not to touch, bent or damage the the gold pins on the long side and remove any debris on the bottom and sides. Also look and the locking springs, the silver bumps on the ends of the port, they need to be free to move and should give some push back. if corrosion is found try plugging / unplugging several times to remove it. If damage is found, contact your Apple store or the Apple Genius Bar, set up an appointment to have your iPod evaluated. Good luck. Cheers.

Jul 12, 2014 3:09 AM in response to Xoipoep

Not Charge

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

- Try another cable. The cable for 5G iPod (lightning connector) seems to be more prone to failure than the older cable.

- If a 5G iPod

Iphone 5 lightning port charging problem - SOLUTION!

- Try another charging source

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

iPod 5th gen doesn't charge!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.