Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Oh no.. Something went wrong during recovery in Mac Mini

I erased my mac to start over (files everywhere, really slow mac) by holdinh command-r during startup, and I clicked erase and it erased. Everything went well. Then I was re-installing the OS X... And 2 hours later it said that it "could not install mavericks". So I quit the installer, but then no other options were available.... So I restarted my mac mini. Now, there is a flashing folder with a question mark. So I hold command-r during startup to go back and try installing again... But now I can't boot in recovery mode. It now sends me to internet recovery, AND MY INTERNET ISNT BEING ACCEPTED. What do I do now? Seems strange that something always goes wrong with anything I buy... Don't you thing mavericks should have been able to install? With a newly-erased system with NOTHING but factory presets on it, even then it runs into a problem? I don't get it. And the nearest mac store is over an hour away. 😟

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 5:01 PM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2014 5:29 PM in response to 59Ballons

Try using a wired connection (ethernet). It is many times faster than a lot of older wifi protocols. It is also more stable & reliable. Wifi can drop out & cause the installation to fail mid process.

If you cannot get into internet recovery mode on ethernet check that your ISP has not applied a download limit. Try using the internet on another device to be sure it is working 100%.

Do you have a bootable backup?

Do you have any other Macs, or access to a friend with one?

Jul 11, 2014 7:26 PM in response to 59Ballons

I don't think you want to switch network connections when trying to use the installer. Internet recovery downloads a small woking OS & then goes to fetch the installer. I'd guess that it didn't transition correctly to the new connection & eventually it timed out and stopped retrying.

Was the 'home network' wifi?

You really need to use a stable connection - ethernet is the best choice. Try to beg or borrow an ethernet cable & get connected to the router or network switch - you have a Mac Mini with an ethernet port for a reason 🙂

If it was on ethernet let us know.

Oh no.. Something went wrong during recovery in Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.