Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

splitting one large monitor into 4 smaller displays?

hi,

i have just purchased a 42" tv to hook into my mac mini (late 2013) running maverics 10.9.4

it functions fine for movies but is way too big for me to do any work on.

i use this computer for graphic design, web design, and audio production (all usually have 2-3 windows open at a time.)

is there a way to split my display into 4 quadrants so i can then throw different windows into each quadrant?

i understand i can resize each window to only take up a fourth of the screen but the resolution isnt different therefore the windows do not actually get smaller instead the just get cut down in size

i guess a more clear way of asking is: is there a way to to get 4 screens all with proportionate resolutions that will be the same look feel and size as 4 computer monitors 9proportionatly smaller window size)

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2017 10:44 AM

With the BetterTouchTool app you can "kind-of" do something like this. With it installed, you can drag windows into the corner, and it will automatically resize itself to the size of that quadrant of the screen. Or, you can drag the window to the top-middle to resize the window to full-screen. I believe you can try it out for free. I went ahead and bought a license for it - which is pretty reasonably priced.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2017 10:44 AM in response to destinationsound

With the BetterTouchTool app you can "kind-of" do something like this. With it installed, you can drag windows into the corner, and it will automatically resize itself to the size of that quadrant of the screen. Or, you can drag the window to the top-middle to resize the window to full-screen. I believe you can try it out for free. I went ahead and bought a license for it - which is pretty reasonably priced.

Jul 11, 2014 10:19 PM in response to destinationsound

A semi-viable option is the F3 button, you can have virtual desktops, but you're not going to be able compress them all into one screen.

Sometimes the overkill has to be scaled back for productivity improvement.

Get a smaller LCD display, it should help for primary work.

Also, you can manually resize application windows to take up a certain area of the screen

See the Cinch app.

http://lifehacker.com/5432194/cinch-brings-windows-7s-aero-snap-to-the-mac

Jul 14, 2014 12:22 PM in response to chattphotos

The above solutions (all of which i already know and some like cinch i currently use) do not do what i need. What they do is resize a window. I know how to resize a window... The problem is the font size and general ratios of screen size and resolution do not change, leaving me with a huge window just cut in half (missing half of the stuff on the screen, not actually making it smaller just cutting it in half)

The other suggestion of "getting a computer monitor instead" isnt really a solution, more of an obvious alternative that is in no way related to solving my issue. I have a computer monitor. I know i can do this. But im trying not to since my new space is limited. I wanted to consolidate everything into one spot.

Jul 14, 2014 1:09 PM in response to destinationsound

TV's aren't designed to work like that... neither are computers... I don't know of software that can help for such either.

What you need is more monitors, a bigger room, and a larger desk if you choose to work in a multiple app window environment.

Or try multi-tasking, it's effective and provides an efficient way to jump between running applications.

splitting one large monitor into 4 smaller displays?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.