Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall osx

Hello

I have been having a problem with my installation of mavericks, at first it would consistently freeze at the login screen, and have to be restarted. when that happen i tried reinstalling osx from the recovery partition, this only made it worse because now it wont even start but simply shuts down at the startup screen with the apple logo.

I know it cant be a hardware problem because windows 7 on boot camp and Linux start up fine.

Does any one know of a way to run a clean install of mavericks from the recovery partition, the last time i know it did not perform a clean install because i can still access my files on the OS X partition from inside windows.

Any help would be appreciated, i suppose i should have made a backup disk of mavericks installer but never did

Thank you

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 4:49 PM

2 replies

Jul 11, 2014 4:59 PM in response to RCizzy

To 'clean install' you need to erase the partition for OS X…

Boot into recovery mode.

Select Disk Utility from the options list.

Select your boot disk in the left sidebar and then find the desired partition (these are indented below the disk icon).

In the erase tab, erase the OS X volume and format the new partition as a 'Mac OS Extended (journaled)' volume.

Quit Disk Utility & select the installer from the main screen.

I'd strongly suggest you backup all the other OS's before you begin since it is possible to erase the wrong partition!

The installer will be downloaded from Apple so you should use a wired connection if possible - wifi can be slow & unreliable, it will save time if your internet connection is faster than wifi.

Reinstall osx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.