Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 11.3 upgrade, iTunes hangs on startup/refresh of podcast

After upgrading to iTunes 11.3 on 64-bit Windows, it will hang at startup using 25% of the CPU for 40 minutes. If I refresh a podcast, it will hang using 25% cpu for 35+ minutes. I did not have any issue until I upgraded.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 6:55 PM

8 replies

Jul 11, 2014 7:08 PM in response to RussWalz_Work

Couple Mac owners have reported podcast issues after updating.

It may clear up if you shut down at night - as there may be an issues with logging in -- in that you are already logged in.

I don't do podcasts - but have noticed if I open new itunes while logged into this site - closing it logs me off - and then I can't sign in because it thinks I am signed in.

Jul 15, 2014 7:31 AM in response to RussWalz_Work

I have the same issue with my Mac Pro running Mavericks and iTunes 11.3. Instead of updating my podcasts in the List View, I change to All Unplayed. Then I update the podcasts and they update almost normally. Never update in List view -- I guess that is where the problem is. By the way, I have a large number of files (mostly old time radio) of 340 GBs.

Good Luck,

- Russ in Santa Barbara

Jul 18, 2014 2:16 AM in response to RussWalz_Work

I have Windows 7 64-bit. Thank god I'm not the only person having this problem. I truly thought it was just me. I updated to 11.3 just a few days ago and didn't have any problems. After reading a few different posts regarding this issue, I can only assume that I must have clicked on List view while in Podcasts because when I open iTunes, it opens up to that view (I'm assuming from the last time it was running properly) but my problem is that I can't even click on anything to try to change the view because iTunes just hangs there and shows up as Not Responding in task manager. Anyone have any suggestions??

Jul 19, 2014 11:23 PM in response to baronvg

I did two things which resolved this problem.

1. went to device manager and noted an error on the Apple USB driver.

Fixed by reinstalling it from c:/program files/common files/apple

It took a couple of tries but eventually it resolved.

2. Go into Control Panel / Programs and then right-click on Bonjour and select repair.

After that it worked.

After 11.3 upgrade, iTunes hangs on startup/refresh of podcast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.