Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 7 corrupt cross dissolve

I am using FCP 7 and I am now suddenly having problems with the cross dissolve. When I insert a cross dissolve into the timeline the second image sometimes jumps when the video is played. Then when I exported the video and played it at every dissolve the video looked corrupt and sometimes froze. (The audio was unaffected). I tried restarting FCP and the computer but that did not help. Any help with this would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 8:06 PM

6 replies

Jul 11, 2014 9:57 PM in response to yuvilion

What is your source material and what are your sequence settings?

If you don't know your source properties, click on a camera clip in the FCP browser to select it, Once selected, type Command + 9 to see the item properties for the clip. Either report those properties here, or take a screen shot of the item properties and post that screen shot here.

Next, click anywhere on your timeline, and then type Command + 0 {zero} to see your sequence settings. Either report those settings here or take a screen shot and post the screen shot of your sequence settings.

If you are working with H.264 or mpeg source material, you need to convert it to ProRes prior to editing in FCP7.

MtD

Jul 12, 2014 6:59 AM in response to yuvilion

As Meg wrote above...

If you are working with H.264 or mpeg source material, you need to convert it to ProRes prior to editing in FCP7.

That is the source of your problems.

While it might appear to work, sooner or later H.264 and other highly compressed MPEG formats will bite you in the backside.

There are thousands of posts on here that go into more detail on the subject.

Jul 12, 2014 9:44 AM in response to yuvilion

Is you want to try something to avoid re-editing your project, make a copy of your sequence - select the sequence, then go to the menu Edit > Duplicate. Then, double click the copy to open the timeline and click anywhere in it. Type Command + 0 {zero} to open the sequence settings and set the Compressor to Apple ProRes 422. Click OK.

You will now have to render the entire timeline to view it ( or just export the timeline - it will render while exporting) which may take a while but this might help with your problem.

Also, is the source material you shot interlaced? Your item properties show the clip as interlaced, but if you shot with a Canon camera, sometimes progressive footage gets incorrectly flagged as interlaced.

If you are confident that you shot progressive footage, then when you are switching the Compressor Codec in the Sequence settings, also change the Field Dominance to None.

MtD

FCP 7 corrupt cross dissolve

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.