Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2013 macbook air automatically connects to 802.11n

I just got a new airpot time capsule. My 2103 macbook ir automatically connects to the 2.4ghz channel every time I open the lid. This happens even when I close it while it's connected to ac. Does it do this because the 2.4 ghz channel has a better signal? How could I get it to stay on ac?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 7:13 PM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2014 8:00 PM in response to jake287

The "ac" signal is on the 5 GHz band and the normal 802.11b/g/n signals are on the 2.4 GHz band.

5 GHz is capable of much higher speeds than 2.4 GHz, but the downside to 5 GHz is that the signal is much weaker than a 2.4 GHz signal. As a result, 5 GHz really only works well when the router and Mac are in the same room, or close proximity to each other.

Your Mac is always looking for the strongest signal with which to connect when it powers up or comes out of sleep.

By default, Apple assigns the same wireless network name to both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. So, unless your Mac is very close to the AirPort router, it will likely connect to the 2.4 GHz band.

Do you have both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands set to use the same wireless network name? We ask because there is an option in AirPort Utility to assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network. Then, you can "point" your Mac at that specific network.

But......important.....you must also change the Connection Order on the Mac in System Preferences to make sure that the 5 GHz network is the first priority for the Mac with which to connect.

Post back if you need more help with assigning a separate name to the 5 GHz network and setting the Connection Order for networks.

None of this will guarantee that the Mac will connect to 5 GHz consistently if it is normally a room or two away from the router, but it will improve your chances.

Jul 12, 2014 6:52 AM in response to jake287

Thanks for confirming. On the Mac.....

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right of the window

Here you will see the connection order for networks. If jake284wireless(5GHz) is not at the top of the list, click it and drag it to the top

Click OK

Click Apply

Close System Preferences

Restart the Mac

This will tell the Mac to look for the 5 GHz network first. If the signal meets the connection criteria in terms of signal strength, low noise, etc, the Mac will connect at 5 GHz. Otherwise, the Mac will connect to the stronger 2.4 GHz network when it comes back out of sleep.

My 2013 macbook air automatically connects to 802.11n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.