Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update my iMac

OS X mountain lion not compatible with iMac 7.1.... Description says it IS compatible so I bought it. Now I can't install it, why?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:23 PM

10 replies

Jul 11, 2014 10:13 PM in response to Jreno71

To find out info about your system and makes sure you have a mid 2007 iMac,

Click on the Apple symbol in the upper left of the OS X main menu bar. A drop down menu appears.

Click About this Mac. A smaller popup window appears. This gives you basic info like what version of OS X your iMac is running, the speed of your iMac's CPU and how much RAM is installed.

Click on the button that says More Info. A larger window appears giving you a complete overview of your iMac's hardware specs.

Highlight all of this info and copy/paste all of this into another reply to this post, editing out your iMac's serial number before actually posting the reply.

This will tell us everything about your iMac so we may begin to help with your iMac issues.

Jul 11, 2014 10:34 PM in response to Jreno71

Also, later version of OS X ( OS X 10.7 - 10.9 and, probably, the upcoming OS X 10.10) need as much RAM that can be installed in a Mac, as possible.

Your year and model iMac (if a 7,1 mid 2007 iMac) can take a total of 6 GBs of RAM.

I seriously and strongly advise you install, before upgrading to Mavericks, the full 6 GBs of RAM.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com).

OWC(macsales.com) has this 6 GB RAM kit.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/5300DDR2S6GP/

Also, if your iMac has any older applications that used to run on older PowerPC style Macs, these will no longer work under OS X 10.7 and later OS X versions.

You may need to seek out newer Intel CPU compatible apps.

See these links for more info.

http://roaringapps.com/apps

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6271

Jul 22, 2014 4:28 PM in response to Jreno71

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version: 1.20f4

Sorry it has been a while. I have been really busy! Here is the information for my imac. I bought the mountain lion download and it would not install so i purchased the snow leopard. This one will not install as well.

Jul 22, 2014 4:30 PM in response to Jreno71

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version: 1.20f4

I have recently purchased the OS X snow leopard and it isnt working as well.

Cannot update my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.