Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I supposed to "unsync" my iPhone from my computer? If so, how?

I have some content on my computer iTunes that I would like to add to my iPhone. However, the option of "manually sync" is unchecked. I tried to check it, but it says that my iPhone is already synced to a computer. It then said that all my content on my iphone that is not on my computer will be erased if I sync it. I don't want that to happen because I don't have an itunes back up! don't have this computer with me anymore.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 8:47 PM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2014 8:51 PM in response to Goldname

iOS: How to transfer or sync content to your computer - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296 - "Learn how to configure sync in iTunes to transfer content between your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and your computer. In addition to creating a backup, a sync with your computer allows you to manage contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on your computer." Plus information on syncing manually and using autofill in manual mode. If you use manual syncing, you can sync items from more than one iTunes library to your iPod. (You can sync iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad with only one iTunes library.) When manually managing content, you can add content from multiple libraries to your iPod or iPad. Even when manually managing music, some content may be available from only one library at time. This includes all content on iPhone and video content on iPod and iPad. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12113 and http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202

Your i-device was not designed for unique storage of your media. It is not a backup device and media transfer was planned with you maintaining a master copy of your media on a computer which is itself independently backed up against loss. To use a device with a new computer you transfer the content from the old computer (or its backup) directly to the new computer, not the device to the new computer. Syncing is one way, computer to device, updating the device content to the content on the computer, not updating or restoring content on a computer. The exception is iTunes Store purchases which can be transferred to a computer.

Jul 11, 2014 8:52 PM in response to Goldname

You can only sync a device to one iTunes library at a time, so if you did not copy the iTunes Library from your old computer to your new one,then syncing your device to the new one will erase all of the iTunes sync'd content.

Anything you have purchased under your same Apple ID can be re-downloaded to your device or to your new computer. Anything that was burned to the old computer manually would have to be re-added via the CDs they came from to your new computer.

When you hook up your device to sync, you can turn off syncing for specified functions (like Photos, Books, Movies, etc.) by going to each of the device profile screens to the right of your device when you select it in iTunes and unchecking the Sync option at the top of that screen.

Be sure to go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices, and make sure that the "Do not automatically sync...." option is checked to prevent syncing from occurring before you have had a chance to customize your Device Profile screens.

Cheers,

GB

Jul 12, 2014 9:52 AM in response to xqt

Hi xqt,

The issue the OP is having has nothing to do with Trusting the computer. The issue is that the iTunes library the device is sync'd with has not been moved to the new computer. So, any device sync'd to a different iTunes library will be erased and the content will be replaced with whatever is (or is not) in the new iTunes library.

Cheers,

GB

Am I supposed to "unsync" my iPhone from my computer? If so, how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.