Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backup and format macbook pro

I have a Macbook Pro which runs on OS X ver 10.7.4. I have used boot camp and partitioned the drive to install Windows 7 as well. Lately I am running into some issues on my Mac OS X and want to format it to rectify those issues. I have following questions:

1. What would happen to my purchased softwares on Mac? such as MS Office for Mac package, after formatting - Will I lose it?

2. What would happen to the Windows partition? will that also get formatted?

3. Can I get a list of Do's and Don'ts for before and after formatting process?

Thanks,

Bali

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 8:52 PM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2014 10:58 PM in response to Bali A.

When you format your partition, everything within that partition is erased and unrecoverable. You will lose all installed apps, data, photos, music …. everything. Formatting is a 'low-level' scrub of the disk partition that completely wipes the file system and re-creates it from scratch. The windows partition will not be affected, as long as you leave that partition alone.

The biggest DO I can think of is to make sure you back up both your Windows and OS X prior to beginning the work. The biggest DON'T I can think of is skipping what I wrote for DO.

backup and format macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.