Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating more space in the iPhone

TO update my iPhone 5S to there latest software (IOS 7.1.2), I receive a message saying that I need more space, as the software requires something like 700 megabytes. Many people seem to have a similar problem. I can easily delete some podcasts either directly on the iPhone or via unticking some podcasts within the iTunes program, before syncing the iPhone with iTunes. However, when I look at the memory consumption within the iPhone via the iTunes program (the memory analysis at the bottom if the screen in iTunes), I can see that there is still 1.5 Gigabytes of unused memory. So, why am I asked to delete stuff, when there is still so much memory available?

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:40 PM

Every byte of free space is not available to be used by your storage. There needs to be sufficient free space for temporary storage, etc. 1.5GB is less than 10% of your total space.

Free up some space by looking at Settings > General > Usage on your iPhone. It will itemize some of the big space consumers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2014 9:40 PM in response to Akipete

Every byte of free space is not available to be used by your storage. There needs to be sufficient free space for temporary storage, etc. 1.5GB is less than 10% of your total space.

Free up some space by looking at Settings > General > Usage on your iPhone. It will itemize some of the big space consumers.

Jul 12, 2014 8:27 PM in response to Akipete

Yes, I understand it's not obvious that more than a gigabyte is needed for temporary storage. After all, it hasn't been very long since computer disks could not hold as much as a gigabyte, and that was enough storage for the computer's operating system, software, and the user's personal files. Storage and memory have become cheaper rapidly, and that seems to have caused an explosion in the amount of it used by our modern software. The iPhone uses space for caching, temporary application data, etc.

Enjoy your iPhone.

Creating more space in the iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.