Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding memory to Mac Pro G5

I have installed 6 new 2 GB PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM DIMM in my Mac Pro G5 Quad core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz with 2 processor

Originally I only had 2 slots filled of the, but purchased enough to fill the other slots with 1 GB DIMM

Installed in the open slots and when I powered up it does not recognize any of the new memory.

Is there a trick to how they should be installed, i.e. the order the slots are filled?

The original slots occupied were DIMM Riser A/DIMM1 and 2 with DDR2 FB-DIMM 800 MHz

I appreciate any help.

I am upgrading from FCP 7.0 to FCPX and it requires at least 4 GB of memory.

Thank you!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:47 PM

5 replies

Jul 12, 2014 7:58 AM in response to tptone

There are two potential issues, and you need to separate them.

The first is, "Do these new modules work alone?"

The second is, "do all my working modules cooperate with each other?"

To test, start with one pair of new modules, and nothing else in the machine. If you get a good start (rather than the power light flashing at you) add more and keep going. If all can be installed, check the reports to make sure all are recognized.

THEN add in the old modules and see where you get to. If you have to discard the lower density old modules, no great loss.

adding memory to Mac Pro G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.