Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why when I open my password protected Pages document it doesn't require me to enter the password that I have set to see the document?

When I open my Pages app and try to open my previously password protected document it doesn't require me to enter the password to see the document. It just takes me straight to the document like any other document that isn't password protected. Isn't this the point of having a document password protected so no one can see it without knowing the password? Am I missing something when I set the password in the first place? Thanks.

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 4:00 AM

Probably your Keychain is filling it in for you.

Try it on another Mac.

Peter

5 replies

Jul 12, 2014 6:34 AM in response to MNVR5

When you set a password in Pages v5(.2), you are offered a check box to remember the saved password in your keychain. If you do not enable this check box, you will always be prompted locally for the document password. If checked, before opening the document, Pages queries keychain if it knows anything about the current local document security, and once confirmed, it simply opens the document without a challenge.

To disable the keychain knowledge for the local document, you open the document, and choose File > Change Password… . Enter the current (old) password only, then select the Remove Password button. Now, you can use File > Set Password… again to set the password, and omit the Remember this password in my keychain option. The desired document password prompt will occur on your local (and remote) access.

Why when I open my password protected Pages document it doesn't require me to enter the password that I have set to see the document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.