Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover files from a failed HDD connected via a external USB enclosure

Background Information:
MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2010, 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, previously a 250GB Hitachi HDD standard with the notebook.

I recently had my hard drive fail on my MacBook Pro, and I replaced it with a new SSHD myself. I did not have recovery options set up or have my disk backed up in any way. I now have my Macbook fully functioning with a clean install on the new SSHD.

What I hoping to do now is recover all or at least a portion of my old files. I have an external disk enclosure that connects via USB, and I am wondering what would be the best place to start in trying to recover my files from my failed drive. I haven't been able to find a solid solution so far from general Google searches, so hopefully someone here can help me out!

Cheers,
Cody

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:41 PM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 2:21 AM in response to codster97

Cody,

If the drive was damaged (which it surely was) you'll need some sort of data rescue software to try to get some of your data from your old, damaged drive to your new drive. I think, in your case, that you should try DiskWarrior, secondly, Data Rescue 3. Both are $100 and there's no guarantee that the drive can be repaired enough to rescue files. If you get really desperate you could try a forensic data recovery contracted but that may cause you $1,000USD or more.

Good luck,

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS Mavericks 10.9.4, 16GB Crucial RAM, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

How to recover files from a failed HDD connected via a external USB enclosure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.