Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iPad with iOS 8 make calls through iPhone with iOS 7?

I currently have an iPhone 4, which is not compatible with the upcoming iOS 8 and is currently running iOS 7.1.1. i also have an iPad mini, which has iOS 7 now, but is compatible with iOS 8. Using iOS 8 it is possible to make calls and send messages through an iPad if the iPhone is also connected to the same wifi. But I want to know if this possible when the iPhone has iOS 7 and the iPad is running iOS 8. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 12:11 AM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2014 2:18 AM in response to Tary123

Almost certainly not. I'm sure both devices will have to be running iOS 8 for this to work.

I'd be a bit wary about this working with your iPad mini too (assuming it's a 1st generation mini without Retina display). Although Apple have announced that older devices like the original iPad mini, the iPad 2, the 3rd generation iPad and the iPhone 4s (which all have the older, slower A5/A5X CPUs and other old hardware) will run iOS 8 it would not surprise me to discover that these models won't support all the features of iOS 8. This is the case with iOS 7 and the iPhone 4 currently, the iPhone 4 runs iOS 7 but it does not support all the features of iOS 7 that the 4s and later iPhones do. I suspect the same thing will prove true of iOS 8 on older hardware too. We'll probably have to wait until iOS 8 is actually released to find out exactly which new features are, and are not, supported on the older A5/A5X devices.

Jul 12, 2014 2:21 AM in response to David Shanahan

The answer is NO!

In order to make calls from ipads and macs through your iphone, you must have iOS 8 and OSX Yosemite. For these are the only iOS and OSX systems that supports "continuity".

previous version of iOS and OSX don't have the "continuity" feature.

However, even if you install iOS 8 on your iphone, it still is terribly buggy. So I wouldn't do it yet cos you'll just go back to using iOS7 due to the amount of glitches.

Hope this helps.

Lionel

Can iPad with iOS 8 make calls through iPhone with iOS 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.